Shadowbane - free MMORPG game

Reaction score
Shadowbane was released some time before World of Warcraft, if I remember correctly, and wasn't free to begin with. Likely WoW took all customers though, and now it has become fully free. As said somewhere deeply hidden on the site, you can safely ignore anything telling you it's a 15-day trial or that it's for the US and Canada only. Download the game (it says trial), create a free UBI.com account, download the updates (from within the game) and play away (it seems to be the same package for the Windows and Mac client, so it'll download a number of .exe and .dll files as well as the Mac files [it did for me at least], but you can ignore those).

Game exists for both Windows and Mac OS X.
http://www.shadowbane.com/

The controls can be a bit hard to figure out if you're not used to them, so here's the basics:
Right-click to move to that place (or control-click I suppose, I have a multi-button mouse so I can't say for sure).
Double-click is default action (attack enemy, talk to friendly NPC, open door or chest...)
Click select
Mouse wheel zoom in/out (move camera closer to/further away from your character)
... you'll have to figure out the rest yourselves.

Reaction score
i dont like mmorpg's or any online only games really
but ill give it a try i like free >: )
and guild wars is windows only and how good my latest mac toy might be ( a G5 *drools* ) vpc wil always be a dog
oh wel

edit : i dont believe this i cant download the mac version from gamespy
it needs a pc ! a pc for a mac file

Reaction score
GameSpy requires a PC? I didn't realise that (but then, I downloaded both versions right after each other using my PC, as that's where my data storage resides).

You could try downloading it from Gamershell (wether that's Gamer-shell or gamer's hell, I don't know) in case you haven't got VPC or a Windows machine hanging around.

Oh, and I found a trailer of the game over at Apple.com so you may check it out before you go download it.

Reaction score
believe it that gamespy needs a pc
what kind of retarded situation is it that you need a pc to download a mac sit file ?
i actually needed to ask somebody with a pc to download it for me and forward it to me ( its stil forwarding )

i do have vpc but its 5 and that wont run on tiger
i can see where the nick name comes from gamers hell is taking its sweet time to load
if it wil load at all

Reaction score
Oh, right, GameSpy... yeah, that software only exists for Windows, but you don't need it to download from fileplanet, do you?

Sigh, I would set up a mirror of the file, except my 0.5 Mbit DSL connection wouldn't like it very much if I did (though I'm guessing most Mac users has access to a PC relatively easy and therefore can get it from fileplanet, it'd still put quite some stress on my connection if I were to host files of that size).

Reaction score
im afraid you do
this is what i get when i want to download it from fileplanet

Unable to install the FilePlanet Download Control!

Possible Reasons...

* The control requires Internet Explorer 5 or higher running on Windows 9x/NT4/2000/XP
* If you are running NT, XP or 2000 you must have Administrator privileges
* Your Internet security settings do not allow ActiveX plugins to be downloaded
* You declined to install the control on the previous screen

Click here to to continue to the public queue!
To download, click the link above. For movie files, right-click and choose "Save-As".

i need windows to download a mac file !
what genius thought that situation up ?

edit : i finally managed to download it with some help from a pc wielding friend
the game instalsl fine but you need to register with ubi soft and then activate a subscription ( and for that you need to download netscape or IE )
the sub is thankfully free compleltey free so at least its playable

if anybody is looking for me ( unlikley ) i am on the wrath server as a half human half elf female named regan ravenshaw

lets see how far i can go with this

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I am unable to unstuff the file from gamershell - the bar for decompiling gets to the last stage, and simply freezes. Can any of you help? I do have LimeWire so if you have it would it be possible for me to download it from you?

Reaction score
That's strange, try downloading the file again if you haven't already, or try downloading the newest Stuffit Expander (version 11.02 at the time of writing) and see if it works better.

Reaction score
My problem...the file doesn't exist anymore :( can someone help? I don't have a PC and want to play this again...why does the PC file exist but not the Mac one? argggghhh...i really would rather play this again for free than pay $30 to get the full version of the not-so-great minions of mirth

please post an answer!

Reaction score
My problem...the file doesn't exist anymore :( can someone help? I don't have a PC and want to play this again...why does the PC file exist but not the Mac one? argggghhh...i really would rather play this again for free than pay $30 to get the full version of the not-so-great minions of mirth

please post an answer!

Get a PC friend who is a genuis to find the route of the file (no idea how to do this) and then send you the link.

Or you could always try virtual PC.

Maddox

Reaction score
Okay, listen up now guys, fellow mac users, we don't NEED Windows to download from fileplanet (though it certainly is infinitely easier for them guys, it works flawlessly for Firefox on that platform as well).
There's a trick to bypass the discrimination against macs, fileplanet says so: http://support.fileplanet.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=3232 (click on "Download Help", then "3. Mac users - Read Here - Forbidden 403 error").

Here's the user agent string for UK English Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Windows XP, you'll need it in the instructions on the page I linked to: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/2007030919 Firefox/2.0.0.3, I won't bother digging up the UA string for FFX 1.5, but I'm pretty sure the instruction to use the UA string for the same version you're using is just a load of bull****.

Oh, and here's the fileplanet link to the game, I don't think it's been posted before: http://www.fileplanet.com/files/130000/130644.shtml (ignore the "us & canada only" part of the title).

Ask a Question