select a column in a table for searching

Reaction score
I have a long(!) table with a few columns. I want to search one of its columns, - that contans several kinds of comments - and find and select items with one special kind of comment only. Searching the table as such would give too many results from the other columns. The table is constructed in .pages. How could that be done?

My system: macOS Sierra version 10.12.2

Thanks in advance for your ideas! Dirk

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of Pages?
-I believe Pages will only search the entire table.
-Is this table something you could convert to Numbers? It is far easier to perform searches there.

C

Reaction score
Bonsoir Cory,

Thank you for your answer!

I use Pages version 6.0.5(4052) for this table. Originally it was in OpenOffice (.odt). In fact the table is a catalogue of my books, ‘all’ of them, but it is never complete of course.

The column I was talking about contains mainly text remarks about the language, the subject, etc. Imagine I want to select French books about world-warII, I want to be able to select on F and (leventually later) on WWII (v.v.). When using the F selection on the whoIe table I would of course also get as a result e.g. all authors with a name or surname with an F etc etc. You understand.

Why do you think this could be better done in .numbers?

Or maybe this is something for programmers. Is there a help section for such problems?

I imagine I could also copy that single column and search there. But that would impose maintaining a strict correspondence of line numbers with the original table of course. Cumbersome, especially if you want also te select in other columns!

Any idea?

Dirk

Ask a Question