Speak Selection in Word not working in El Capitan

Reaction score
Any insights into why the 'Speak Selection' function would stop working in Word since upgrading to El Capitan? All other audio functions work (alerts, iTunes, watching videos)...except, i did notice that whereas before, when I turned the volume up or down, I could hear the little 'clicks' getting louder or softer, now i don't hear that.
I checked all audio-related things in System Preferences for Mac & Word since the upgrade, and all seems fine. In Word, everything appears as before--the "Speak Selection" button shows like it used to (I put it in my Toolbar), & when I highlight text & press the button, it indicates it's speaking, but I hear nothing.
I use this function a lot. I'd be pretty sad if it just disappeared.
Open to any insights, and thanks!

Reaction score
Well, darn. It's Word '08. I like Word '08 enough not to want to mess with it. Do you think I'll have to update? :weeps:
Thanks so much for your quick response!

Reaction score
Helpful, honestone! Many thanks for taking the time to help me figure it out. I see I already am at Office 12.3.6 :( Ah well, I'll have to figure something out. Maybe I'll look into Office 2011... Thanks again.

Reaction score
Sorry I could not be more helpful. In actuality, I wonder how long Microsoft will continue supporting Office 2011. We'll see.

Reaction score
You were definitely helpful, it just didn't solve the problem. :) Know what would be cool? If someone started a company that did provide these sorts of compatibility updates to older software, apps, etc, so ppl can keep using it the programs they love on the newer systems. Guess it would mean breaking things, maybe copyright issues... Still, I'd pay!

Ask a Question