JBL Creature speakers

Reaction score
If there is any advice that anyone can offer me I would be grateful. Running iMac 10.11.3. A few years ago I purchased some JBL Creature speakers which have a great sound but cannot operate at low volume. As graphic designer I work on the desktop most of the day and like some background music. The speakers cut out at low volume, the only way to restore the sound is to increase the volume either via the speaker or via the iMac, turn the volume down a touch and within a few minutes it cuts out. I have tried the speakers on a windows system and all is fine. Its so frustrating!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds as if the volume control potentiometer has become dirty, or something in the built-in amplifier is starting to fail. If it works normally on a PC, then the audio jack may be slightly damaged on the Mac.

-Which model Mac?
-Have you ever heard crackling/static through the speakers when adjusting the volume?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, thanks for your reply. Its a 27" late 2013 iMac. The problem has existed from day 1 I thought i would be able to live with it but its a real pain.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

-Do you have other speakers/headphones you could try to see if it the iMac or the JBLs?

I have a friend who has a set of the Creatures, and his have been slowly dying over the years. Currently, his left speaker is only about half as loud as the right, and the subwoofer cuts in an out.

C

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Cory. I have conducted a series of experiments. I borrowed an older pair of JBL speakers and these work perfectly on the iMac. I no longer have a windows based system so linked my JBL Creatures up to my iPad and the same cutting out at low volume problem occurs. The speakers are about two years old so would no longer be in warranty, the problem has been since day one but as said I thought I could live with it but it is so annoying as well as an inconvenience not to be able to have music or chat at low volume while you work. Any suggestions of a solution?
Cheers Steve

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, at least we know that the JBLs are the problem and not the iMac/iPad. Not sure why it was OK on the PC though.

I can't think of anything that may help, other than having them serviced by JBL. Maybe drop their tech support an email and see if they have any suggestions.

I will let you know if I come across anything further.

C

Ask a Question