sd card issues

Reaction score
Hi guys, have just bought a new 2gb sd card which i formatted as 2gb. I transfered some files to the card which weren't copied correctly so went back to comp........

SD card is now apparently 976mb and is blank. Any ideas on what's wrong? or is it just buggered?

cheers guys,
Phil

Reaction score
Reformat it again - but before you do, try shutting down your system, take out the card, then boot your system back up, then put the card back in the reader - and see if it shows correctly then.

Reaction score
Hi Kyomii, have tried this, the mac and pc both now see it as 976mb only, tried to reformat but only gives me 1gb option!

Cheers,
Phil

Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure you formatted as 2048mb? In other words does your card reader support SD cards above 1GB?

If you formatted at 1024mb by mistake/or because card reader cannot support 2GB, this will be why you only get the 1GB option.

Is the card from a camera or mobile device? If so, put it in the camera or device, and try and let the camera/device reformat it and see what happens.

What make/model is the card reader, and also what make/model is the SD card?

Reaction score
formatted it using a pc at 1.9Gb, card is a datawrite 2gb mini sd with adaptor. card reader just says travel reader on it, no make or model but it defo accepts 2gb as I have another one which it accepts fine. The card is to be used in a gp2x and i don't think this can format the card. The pc now also sees the card as 976mb.

Thanks for this,
Phil

Reaction score
Hi Phil,

Doh! If your sure your card reader supports more than 1gb, then I have suddenly realised your problem - did you format as Fat32 by any chance?

If so, this is why it is now showing as 1GB

It needs to be formatted as FAT 16 then you will get the full 2GB back - if you can borrow a camera off someone that takes SD cards, then formatting within the camera should solve the problem.

The only other thing I can think of trying is to format the flash drive with this syntax from a command prompt:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT16

(X=the drive letter assigned to the SD card in your windows system) There is also a space after the (X) If the drive letter is not showing as X but a different letter, then replace the X with that letter BUT MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT TYPE C ;) )

Reaction score
Quality, only prob being it says not recognised as internal or external command?

Cheers
Phil

Reaction score
Hi Phil,

Go to windows Explorer and find what drive letter corresponds to the slot your card is in.

Then, click on start, and then run, and type cmd, you will see a black box open with a command prompt flashing, and type the following:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT16

If that does not work, or it is not recognised, try

Format (X:) /FS:FAT16 /U

There is a space after the X and also after 16 - please ensure you put the correct letter of your flash drive in do not put C in otherwise this will format your computer!

If this does not work, and the card is under guarantee, then I suggest maybe getting in touch with where you bought it from or the manufacturer of the card and ask if you can return it for another one.

Reaction score
gonna take it back, it says format is not available for fat16 drives.

is this due to the fact that the pc only gives options of fat or fat32?

cheers for all your help,
Phil

p.s tried formatting with fat instead of fat16 and it works but still says 1gb

Reaction score
I would take it back then Fev. Just be careful when you get your new one :) Read the instructions with it in case you have to do it in FAT16 (some need it, some don't)

Ask a Question