Importing photos from memory card

Reaction score
A relative brought over a memory card with lots of family photos. I imported them into my Photos for Mac, gave her back her memory card, and then started to add faces.

I got the following error messages:
The volume for “IMG_7637.JPG” cannot be found.
Connect the disk or mount the server volume needed, then try again.

It gave me the options to [Find Original...] [Cancel] [Try Again]

It used to be, importing photos into my Photos app would import the photos into my Photos app. Apparently it doesn't do that anymore. I can get delete the photos from the Photos app and get the memory card again. Then what do I need to do to get the photos into my Photos App.

Also: My wife's Photo app always shows "Updating 283 items". Mine doesn't.

Reaction score
Do you know "where" on your iMac those imported photos are? Try doing a search of that file/photo name you mentioned. If you find it, double click on it to see if it can be opened. It should happen with Preview displaying the image. I just did it with a JPG of my wife and our oldest son.

I am also running OS 10.13.2. on both of my Macs, and I am having one minor issue with Quicken 2007. After finishing a session with Quicken 2007, a dialogue appears asking if I want to make a backup of the Accounts file. The screen even shows the name and location of the prior one. Well, with High Sierra, I am getting the error message "Quicken was unable to backup your file", and then "Quicken was not able to automatically backup your file". This has never happened with any prior OS. I attribute this anomaly to the APFS file system. Quicken 2017, on the other hand, works fine with making a backup.

I wonder if something similar is happening with the Photos app.

Reaction score
One photo I found a different photo with the same name. The next one wasn't on my Mac at all. It somehow didn't make it from the memory card to my Photos library, even though I can see it and add a face using Photos.

Reaction score
So, does the Photos app work like you want it to?

Also, unclear what you mean by "It somehow didn't make it from the memory card to my Photos library, even though I can see it and add a face using Photos.". How are you "seeing" it?

Reaction score
I don't know how it is working. I open Photos, double click on a photo and get the attached screen print:
Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 6.54.26 AM.jpg

Reaction score
I just added a name for the unnamed person above. It takes the name, but still wants to know where the original is. I just tried to export that photo, and I get the same error message. I can't export it because it can't find the original. Weird.

Reaction score
As I said above, if you know the actual location of the photo, navigate to that folder, double click on it, and see if it opens up in preview. If all that works, one would surmise that there is definitely an issue with the Photos app in High Sierra.

Reaction score
The actual location of the original photo is the memory card from which I loaded those photos. I returned the memory card, but can get it re-created.

Reaction score
So did any of the photos get "loaded" off the memory card onto your iMac? If so, do those work as expected?

Reaction score
They appeared to get loaded. The first indication that they weren't loaded is in that attached image above. The more important indication is that I cannot export the photo because it can't find the volume that it's on.

Reaction score
If you know the name of the file for the photo, you should be able to use either Spotlight or the excellent freeware program EasyFind to locate it.

Reaction score
One photo I found a different photo with the same name. The next one wasn't on my Mac at all. It somehow didn't make it from the memory card to my Photos library, even though I can see it and add a face using Photos.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I agree - sounds like it didn't import properly to the Photos Library. You can add a face, because it does have a thumbnail in the library.

You may have to have access to the card or have them send you the photo, if they still have a copy.

Is this the only photo you are having trouble with? If so, there may have been an issue with the memory card itself, and the photo couldn't be properly read from it.

Does your wife's Photos app show that updating message every time she opens Photos? Was she in the middle of importing photos and the Photos app crashed?

C

Reaction score
It looks like every photo that I loaded from that memory card have that issue.

My wife's Photo app shows that updating issue every time she opens Photos. We don't know that her Photos app ever crashed.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yeah, then it sounds like the import didn't complete, failed, or the card had an issue.

Can you upload a screenshot of your wife's issue? Does she use iCloud Photo Library by chance?

C

Reaction score
I've been trying to get us to use photos library but failing miserably. Every time I try, I undo things. She has a big iCloud, I have a small one. When I try, I can't get new photos from phone to Mac.

Here's her screen print. (I have to look up how to change her screen prints to be .jpg the way I did mine once. That's why I have a screen print of a screen print).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 11.05.51 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 11.05.51 AM.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 307

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That's a lot of photos/videos. ;) Looks like she has some shared albums as well.

I would leave it open and let it sit overnight to see if it finishes uploading/syncing.

C

Reaction score
My iPad is trying to sync 4,809 Photos, while my iPhone seems to be up-to-date. I can't find a photos related setting which is different between the two devices.

Ask a Question