SD Card Slot Not Reading Card

Dev

Reaction score
Good evening!

I've risen to the level of my own incompetence again. I'm trying to access images on an SD card I've taken out of a digital camera. I've inserted the card into the slot at the back of the computer (Late 2015 iMac 21.5"), and it doesn't recognize it as media anywhere. There's nothing in Finder, and the System Report for USB (where the Apple forums say this should be found) doesn't list it at all.

If someone could point me in the right direction here, I'll be most grateful!

-Dev

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
First step if you don't already have this enabled, click on 'Finder' on the top left menubar and select Preferences. Under General, make sure 'External disks' is ticked.

I don't know if you've already read through the following but I'm posting it anyway.

About the SD and SDXC card slot on your Mac

Have you been using the slot successfully in the recent past?

Is the camera detecting & accessing the SD card okay.

Have you other SD cards to test to see if it is the card or the reader?

Try launching Image Browser then inserting the card to see if Image Browser detects it.

Launch Disc Utility (Applications ~> Utilities) & repair Permissions then restart your iMac.

Reaction score
Can you connect your camera (with the card in) to the iMac with a USB cable? If so you can access the images via 'Image Capture'

Dev

Reaction score
Thank you both! I'll repair permissions as soon as I have time. In the meantime, Image Capture did the trick.

I appreciate the fast answers from both of you!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
no probs Dev happy to help. Did the card slot recognise the card or did you connect the camera via USB?

Dev

Reaction score
For now I connected the camera via USB. I'll make time soon to monkey with permissions and see if I can't get the slot working, though. It'll just annoy me otherwise. :p

Ask a Question