About mojave 10.14.1 'metal support' graphics cards

Reaction score
I OWN MAC PRO (MID 2010) MACHINE ACTUALLY PURCHASED IN MARCH 2012. TRIED TO INSTALL NEW MAC OS MOJAVE 10.14.1 & INFORMED 'REQUIRED METAL SUPPORT GRAPHICS CARDS'. PROVIDED A LIST OF COMPATIBLE GRAPHICS CARDS (WITH METAL SUPPORT)- BEFORE I PURCHASE NEW GRAPHICS CARD, NEED TO KNOW WHICH IS BETTER TO USE- SAPPHIRE RADEON PULSE RX580 (8GB) OR RX560 MSI GAMING RADEON (128 BIT, 4GB)? ANY KNOWLEDGE WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS SUBJECT, NEVER OPENED A COMPUTER IN MY LIFE, BUT NOW SIMPLY TRYING TO SAVE THE COST OF NEW COMPUTER TO RUN THE LATEST UPGRADES.

Reaction score
Please do not use ALL CAPS when making posts here. It is very distracting, and makes it look like you are shouting.

Secondly, what do you use your machine for? If it is for gaming, then one would think you'd want the best gaming graphics card available. However, another thing to consider is whether or not your machine will be supported for future versions of the Mac OS. For example, for one of my current Macs, a late 2012 Mac Mini, Mojave is the last Mac OS that will be able to run on it. I am thus looking to purchase one of the new ones that was released yesterday, but that won't happen until late spring or early summer. With your machine being already 8 years old, there is the possibility that Mojave will be the last OS that can run on it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, I doubt either of those cards will be officially compatible with your Mac Pro, as they are PC graphics cards. You may read that they can be firmware flashed, but I don't recommend that.

Is your Mac Pro currently running macOS Mojave 10.14 currently? If not, which version of OS X/macOS?

C

Reaction score

Ask a Question