Screen shot issue

Reaction score
Suddenly when i take a screen shot, it shows up on my desktop looking like this...green image instead of like this - meaning I only see a png image not the image of what I took the screen shot of - which is what I've always had for the last forever years. Suddenly they don't show up as images anymore.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 2.54.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 2.54.56 PM.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 2.55.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 2.55.33 PM.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hi MJ,

Click on your Desktop and then hit Command J. There should be a checkbox to Show Icon preview.

If its unchecked, check it. If its checked, uncheck it, and then check it again. This should fix your issue

Reaction score
hi MJ,

Did you try to restart your Finder and see if the problem is fixed after toggling the setting.

You do this by holding down the Control & Option keys while clicking on the Finder icon in the Dock and selecting Relaunch.

Reaction score
Nope, once i take the shot and close it - it still lands on my desktop as a the white image with the blue PNG logo.

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity ave you restarted your mac since this issue started?

Another thing to try is to download an app called Onyx (https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html).

Run Onyx and under the Parameters tab, in the General section change the Screen capture file type to something other than PNG, and then change it back. You can also cusomize your screenshot paramerers as well. Then under the Maintenance tab run the default tasks. After this Restart your Mac and see if the problem is resolved.

Reaction score
Nope, once i take the shot and close it - it still lands on my desktop as a the white image with the blue PNG logo.
If restarting and resetting Show icon preview back and forth did not work, it could mean that your installation of macOS is damaged or corrupted. No big deal. It’s a simple matter of reinstalling macOS, something I routinely perform whenever “weird” stuff like this start to happen. It will help if you can provide information on your version of macOS and your Mac’s model I.D. The easiest way to find this information, along other useful data, is to go to  > About This Mac

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 07.15.33.png

and click on More Info. Depending on your macOS version, you need to look for System Report… in order to bring up Hardware Overview. Look for Model Identifier to get your Mac’s model I.D.

Screen Shot 2023-06-16 at 10.54.51.jpg

In my case, it’s Mac13,1. This data will greatly help in troubleshooting your system. Let me know if you need help reinstalling macOS.

Ask a Question