Screen problem - Black Bars & "Freezing" window bars on top of screen

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an issue as lately my Macbook Pro 2017 13.3 (currently running on Catalina) is showing some bad signs.

The screen at the very top has a black horizontal line, along with deteriorated graphics from the all different windows that were open (see images).

While I took a screenshot, the lines do not appear on the photo; hence making it most likely a screen problem I presume.

I also have a cooler underneath it and I'm really surprised should it be a temperature damage.

Anyone having prior experience with this?

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That looks like a graphics/logic board or display panel issue. You are correct that a screenshot will not capture it, since it is a hardware, not software issue.

You can test it to see which it is by connecting an external display. If the issue persists, then it is a graphics/logic board issue. If not, then it is a display panel issue.

Do you have an external display to connect it to?

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory,

Thanks for your answer.

Indeed, I have connected another monitor as a 2nd one, and the problem appears only on my macbook.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

It sounds like a display panel issue then, and will probably require a hardware repair.

C

Ask a Question