Safari 17.1 has removed option to display images in the Developer mention

Reaction score
Hello,
My system is Monterey 12.7.1. It now Appears (pun intended) that with the MacOs Safari most recent update (now 17.1), that the developer menu no longer contains ability to hide / display images.
Prior to this update I had the setting at hide images, now I am unable to see images because there is no option to switch back to display images.
Does anyone know a possible solution? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

This took awhile to setup a Virtual Machine to see if I could find a solution for you.

I was able to fix this by removing the com.apple.Safari folder that was located in the ~/Library/Containers folder. The only issue that I came across was that the favorites bar was not visible until I made it visible again.

There are 2 ways to delete the folder.

The easisest way is to quit Safari, and them open the terminal app.
In the terminal type in the following command: rm -r ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari followed by the Return key.

Or you can do this manually by following these steps.

1. Quit Safari
2. In the Finder, while holding the option key click on the Go menu and select Library
3. Locate the Containers folder and open it.
4. Locate the folder titled com.apple.Safari and delete it.

If you use the Favorite toolbar then after you do either of these methods, you will need to go to the View menu in Safari and select Show Favorits Bar.

Reaction score
Well now, that solved it. Most appreciated. The timeliness of your solution was outstanding.
Thank you!

Ask a Question