Cannot stop "Safari infected with a virus" notifications in macOS.

Reaction score
It has been well over five years since I've had any kind of malware on my MacBooks that create false Notifications, alerting to malware in Safari. As I recall, to get rid of it before, it was a matter of deleting the Safari cache and web history. I've done that and more. I've looked through the Activity Monitor, the /Library/ and ~/Library/ folders, deleted Safari's cache and web history, run ClamXAV, run Etrecheck Pro (paid), downloaded and run CleanMyMac X (I have a paid version but usually just maintain the license without having it installed on my device), run Onyx, etc., trying to stop these Notifications. They have persisted. With the exception of some processes identified in a separate post about suspicious iPhone processes, I have not discovered any processes which may be throwing these Notifications.

Anyone know what might be causing it? I can only think that maybe its something from my Mail cache that is creating these Notifications, but I don't know how Mail would be creating Notifications in Safari.

It's very aggravating.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 2.10.54 PM.png

Reaction score
Hi there,

This is a feature of Safari that allows websites send you notifcations.

Here are the steps to get rid of these notification alerts..

1. Open the Safar Settings (Preferences in Monterey or earlier)
2. On top click on Websites.
3. On the left scroll down and select Notifications.
4. Remove everything in the list on the right.
5. Uncheck Allow websites to ask for permissions to send notifications
6. Quit Safari.
7. Restart your Mac.

You should no longer see the alerts.

Ask a Question