Help - Cannot stop autocorrect in Mountain Lion despite unchecking it

Reaction score
Hi there - I have Mountain Lion installed - up to date - on a Mac Mini and I have been through the described procedure to disable autocorrection of spelling (System preferences > Language & text > text > uncheck "correct spelling automatically).

It is unchecked and remains unchecked on a reboot.

However, I cannot type any names without them being autocorrected if they are not recognised words. I have the identical problem in Chrome and Firefox (I have turned Chrome's autcorrect/spelling off).

It is making it very difficult to do anything on my Mac.

Have I missed something obvious?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I don't have Mountain Lion but I generally get around this by selecting "learn spelling" from the contextual menu .... it is a PITA but other than that I can't offer any other advice

Reaction score
Thanks - I'll give that a go but it really is frustrating not being able to stop it changing virtually every name I try to type.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Right click in a text box or on a doc page and look for "Spelling & Grammar" then deselect "Correct spelling automatically" if there's a tick to the left of it. It's the same as going into Sys Prefs as per your first post but at least it's only a mouse-click away this way ...

Reaction score
That's interesting - I did that and there was no check but even so everything is getting automatically corrected. I turned the check on and it still corrected. Then turned it back off. Still corrected - it's like there's something else somewhere overriding the settings.

Reaction score
Ok - I think I've solved it - it looks like the text expander I have been using - TypeIt4Me - had been set to use Autocorrect and this was over-riding the main system preference settings. Weird but at least i've got to the bottom of it as it was driving me nuts. Thanks for the help!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Yes apps have their own inbuilt setting that need investigating too despite the overall system setting ...

Ask a Question