Rotten Apple

Reaction score
Just got back form my local Apple store here in Canada
16 months ago i purchased a 2018 15" Mac book Pro for $3000
All of a sudden yesterday my screen was covered in flickering lines across the bottom half and up the side.
I tried all the fixes recommended on the internet, none worked.
Today they told me there is no fix and it will cost me $900 plus tax for a new screen.
I spent 40 mins talking to a Sr manager
They offered me nothing, not even a break on the $900.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry to hear that. If you didn't purchase AppleCare, then it would be an out of warranty repair. But, $900 sounds a little high.

Can you upload a photo of what you are seeing on the screen?

C

Reaction score
This sounds like the problem I had earlier in the week.
I have a a 2016 (December) MacBook Pro, well out of both warranty and AppleCare. The screen had stopped working though the laptop was performing normally on my plugged-in remote screen. Several other minor faults developed.
I called the Apple help line (10 March) and was directed to Nathan in Florida; I am in the south of England. Nathan said that the problem was possibly with the cable connecting keyboard to lid. A visit to the Southampton store was arranged.
Immediately the fault was diagnosed as typical of early MBPs. The machine was taken in for a F.O.C. repair (replacement of lid/screen). I collected the MBP on Thursday, all working as normal.
This echoes an earlier event with my 2009 MacBook (White case) where because of a hinge fault the lid & screen were again replaced F.O.C.
Sounds like this time [2020] the store in Canada did not know about the E1.Quality Program. The invoice shows a booked cost of almost £400 (sterling).
Well done Apple! Job done in three days.

Ask a Question