Restoring Refind From OSX Rescue Disk

Reaction score
Hi,
Recently, i installed windows on my MacBook Air (macbookair1,1) using bootcamp. I didn't have enough space, and didn't need osx for then, so i searched the internet trying to find out if it was safe to remove osx and leave windows' partition.
I found out it was possible so i removed the partition.Then,unfortunately,windows stopped working.
The only solution now is to reinstall osx (10.7 Lion) but i need at least 8gb.
I will get the usb later, but for now i need something to make the mac at least operational, so decided to use linux. I made a bootable usb of elementary OS using another Pc.
Unfortunately again, i face another problem, which is the fact that i need rEFInd. I aleady have it installed but it isn't showing up. I searched to web to find out i should try to 'bless' it.
My question now is : How can i 'bless' or restore rEFInd using OSX's rescue disk (of which i'm talking right now).

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
  1. Boot to OS X, using whatever means are available to you. Holding Option (or Alt) while powering up will normally give you Apple's own boot manager, which should enable you to boot to OS X. If your rEFInd installation is currently starting but is not showing an OS X option, skip to step #7; but if rEFInd isn't starting, follow steps #2–7.
  2. If you've made changes to /EFI/refind/refind.conf, back it up.
  3. Remove the /EFI/refind directory tree; it's useless now, and its presence may cause confusion.
  4. Re-install rEFInd, as described in the Installing rEFInd page; but if you install version 0.8.3 or earlier, be sure to use the --esp or --ownhfs device-file option. The latter is preferable, but requires either a dedicated partition for rEFInd or an HFS+ data partition that is currently not bootable. If you install rEFInd 0.8.4 or later, there's no need to specify --esp (as that is effectively now the default). You may use --ownhfs device-file, if you like.
  5. Ensure that the partition to which you've installed rEFInd is mounted. The details depend on how you installed it:
    • If you installed rEFInd to your ESP, typing mkdir /Volumes/esp followed by sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/esp will probably work, although in some cases your ESP won't be /dev/disk0s1, so you may need to change this detail.
    • If you used the --ownhfs device-file installation option, the target partition should already be mounted, normally somewhere under /Volume. If not, locate it and mount it with Disk Utility or mount.
  6. If you backed up your refind.conf file, you can copy it over your new refind.conf file. You should copy the file to either /Volumes/esp/EFI/refind/ (if you mounted the ESP at /Volumes/esp and installed there) or to /Volumes/Mountpoint/System/Library/CoreServices/ (if you used a dedicated HFS+ volume; note that Mountpoint will be the name of the volume).
  7. Edit your new refind.conf file, which should be located as described in the previous step. In your favorite editor, locate the dont_scan_volumes line, which is commented out with a # symbol at the start of the line by default. Uncomment this line and remove the "Recovery HD" item from the line. Some users report that they need to enter one or two dummy entries, as in dont_scan_volumes foo,bar, to get it to work.

Ask a Question