Restore to newer OS x version - current 10.6.8 os x imac 9.1

Reaction score
nd move it to your 2006 iMac - how do you suppose i do this? create a usb with transmac or something else - i have to go from windows 10 to imac

Reaction score
Just use an 8GB USB Flash Drive. Make sure that in Windows you format it exFAT. Then after you copy the disk image to the HD on your 2006 iMac, you can use the same flash drive to restore the image to.

Reaction score
MAcsbug, so i followed the steps to a T - here is the result error - I am using a 16gb san disk flash drive.

see pic :

Attachments

• 20230913_121751.jpg
    20230913_121751.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
the instructions are what they stated :

i figured it out, I had to open the actual package within disk utility then drop package from that was within the .dmg image and drag and drop into the field - the image to the usb worked Voila.

Reaction score
Hi Hi Gridmstr,

I have been trying to find out a way on how to do this on Windows, but none of the utilities that I tried were able to burn a bootable USB drive that actually boots the Mac.

I have uploaded an zipped image of the El Capitan installer to my my DropBox account and I will private Message you the link.

You can download the file , unzip it and move it to your 2006 iMac and then use Disk Utility to restore the disk image to an 8GB Flash Drive.

What you need to do on the other iMac is open Disk Utility and here are the steps you need to do.
  1. Under the Images menu select Scan Image for Restore..
  2. Navigate to, and select the Mac OS X 10.11.6 Install.dmg file.
  3. Plug in an 8GB flash Drive
  4. On the left column highlight the flash drive (Not the volume)
  5. On the right side click on the Erase tab.
  6. Name the drive Untitled and select Mac OS Extended Journaled.
  7. Click Erase.
  8. After the Flash Drive is erased, on the right click on the Restore tab.
  9. To the right of the source, click on the Image button and select the Mac OS X 10.11.6 Install.dmg file.
  10. Drag the volume Untitled from the left column to the Destination field.
  11. Check Erase Destination
  12. Click on Restore.
Once this is done, you will be able to plug the flash drive into your other iMac and start it while holding down the Option key. Select the Mac OS X 10.11.6 Install and hit Enter. The iMac will boot into the installer, and you will be able to install El Capitan on it.

Let me know if you are successful so that I can remove the file from my DropBox folder.
  1. Under the Images menu select Scan Image for Restore..
see pic what do i select?

Attachments

• 20230913_195351.jpg
    20230913_195351.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
With the disk image listed on the left side, just highlight it and select Scan image from the Images menu.

See Pic.

Attachments

• Scan image for restore.jpg
    Scan image for restore.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
ok all went well except for this - when booting and selecting install el capitan it goes thru the motion then poof see pic -

Attachments

• 20230913_220706.jpg
    20230913_220706.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
The fix for this is easy. It has to do with the certificates in the installer. You need to set the clock to a date prior to the date that the Install certificate expires.

To do this...

When you are at OS X Utilities screen, before you select Install OS X go to the Utilities menu on top and select Terminal. Once the terminal launches type in date 0911010016

This will set the date to Sept 11, 2016 which is prior to the date that the Install certificate expires.

After you get confirmation of the date, quit the terminal, and then Install OS X.

Once the Mac reboots into the OS, and you have an internet connection the date should automatically switch back to the current date and time.

Reaction score
Yes sudo is not required, I was able to finally get it installed now TY so much fellas. my next step is too upgrade the RAM and possibly replace the HDD with SSD later after i get the ifxit set to take off the glass and so forth. for now i want to just use it for storage and nostalgia. Any help with emulation and games? i found this site https://macintoshgarden.org/games/the-oregon-trail-ii - is there a emulator that works for my Imac ? sheepshaver i tried the version but it says not compatible. also i do not have a retail disk to install .iso files. any assistance most appreciated. thanks..

Reaction score
Glad that you got the iMac up and running.

On that machine there really isnt any way to run old Classic software. The last version of OS X that allowed for the Classic Environment was 10.4.x.

Ask a Question