Restore to newer OS x version - current 10.6.8 os x imac 9.1

Reaction score
Hello, I need some assistance with performing a restore, I recenlty acquired another Imac found at a thrift shop and it works great however i need help trying to or performing a restore and erase current user profile. the current version installed is OSX 10.6.8 this is a IMAC 9, please see pic for other info. everything works on it no issues with hardware. I just to see if i can upgrade it to at least to LION or above.
  • Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 10.6.8
how do i create a bootable usb , the imac has a disk drive but i do not have any DVD's

where do i get an image from? lion or above.

Attachments

• 20230815_171310.jpg
    20230815_171310.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Reaction score
Hello, I need some assistance with performing a restore, I recenlty acquired another Imac found at a thrift shop and it works great however i need help trying to or performing a restore and erase current user profile. the current version installed is OSX 10.6.8 this is a IMAC 9, please see pic for other info. everything works on it no issues with hardware. I just to see if i can upgrade it to at least to LION or above.
  • Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 10.6.8
how do i create a bootable usb , the imac has a disk drive but i do not have any DVD's

where do i get an image from? lion or above.
From what I can gather, you seem to have an iMac9,1. The model number in my source database shows the order number as A1224 but your attached photo shows A1225—close enough. If that’s the case, it’s supposed to be the 20" mid-2009 iMac, would have come with Mac OS 10.5.6 (Leopard) and can be updated to 10.11.6 (El Capitan). Assuming that the wifi, keyboard and mouse, and hard drive are working, and that you have an Apple ID, you could try booting into Recovery—start and hold down ⌘-R until Recovery comes up.

You can then launch Disk Utility to erase the hard drive. Name it “Macintosh HD” or whatever you else you want, after which you should be able to install OS X El Capitan. It does not usually go this easily, so if you need an external OS installer, you may have to get help from a friend with a working Mac to create a bootable USB OS X installer. Or if you happen to have a backup copy of your previous system, you could migrate/restore the data into this iMac. Good luck.

Reaction score
Assuming that the wifi, keyboard and mouse, and hard drive are working, and that you have an Apple ID, you could try booting into Recovery—start and hold down ⌘-R until Recovery comes up.

I tried this before when it goes out to look download the file it reports it is not available right now.

all the hardware works fine.

Reaction score
this is going to be an issue, I downloaded the dmg file for el capitan and ran it it is asking for username and password i do not know the password how can i install from usb to install and erase previous user profile?

Reaction score
this is going to be an issue, I downloaded the dmg file for el capitan and ran it it is asking for username and password i do not know the password how can i install from usb to install and erase previous user profile?
Are you unable to boot into Recovery? This will free you from any permissions requirement for the hardware because you will be connecting to the Apple servers via internet, so the only confidential information you will have to provide is your App ID (usually your primary e-mail address) and your Apple ID password.

After you are booted into Recovery, you will be able to run Disk Utility in order to erase your iMac’s drive and reinstall OS X. They will usually only offer the newest version that your hardware will be able to run, and I’m assuming that to be El Capitan.

Reaction score
Hi Gridmstr,

From your original post, you have a 24" Early 2009 iMac It will support 10.5.6 through 10.11.6.

The problem that you may run into on the older Mac is that if you use the Recovery HD, it may require that you to login with your AppleID since Apple requires that you have downloaded the OS when it was 1st available for the recovery server to allow you to reinstall from the Recovery HD on certain machines. I do not know if this is the case on the 2009 iMacs, but I ran into this last week on a 2012 iMac trying to reinstall 10.11.

You can download whichever version of Mac OS that you would like from 10.7 though 10.11 at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Once you download the installer, you can use an App like Diskmaker X to create a bootable installer. Their website is down, but you can find directions and links to the older versions at https://recoverit.wondershare.com/mac-tips/create-bootable-mac-usb-with-diskmaker.html.

I hope that this helps and gets you up and running.

Reaction score
I went into recovery mode and erased the hard drive which is an Hitachi drive and kept the disk imager which can not be erased, I launched the restore to new version of OS x and logged into itunes app store and authenticated with my account, ( this mac did not belong to me i bought it a thrift store) it will not update the OSX just says app store not availabe try again later. wth

Reaction score
Reaction score
The version at MacUpdater is for macOS Catalina, that will not help you. If you look at the download links, you need to download the version of DiskMaker based on the version of macOS that you want to install.

I cheked all of the links and was able to download the different versions,

Reaction score
Ok i was able to download it however i am on windows 10 machine , this is why i need to create a bootable usb , the imac currently does not have an image now as i erased the hitachi hard drive. ?

Reaction score
If you know anyone with a Mac, you could try to create a bootable macOS installer drive (USB thumbdrive, SD card, etc.). If this is possible, let me know and I can walk you through the process without the use of a third-party method, just Apple’s Terminal app. I have a good number of these installers for various macOS versions on thumb drives, external SSDs, SD and mini-SD drives, so I know it works.

Reaction score
If you know anyone with a Mac, you could try to create a bootable macOS installer drive (USB thumbdrive, SD card, etc.). If this is possible, let me know and I can walk you through the process without the use of a third-party method, just Apple’s Terminal app. I have a good number of these installers for various macOS versions on thumb drives, external SSDs, SD and mini-SD drives, so I know it works.
I do not know or have anyone that can perform the bootable loader - I have 2 macs though the one i am trying to image with el capitan and an older one white imac with snow leopard i think not sure i tried to do diskmaker on the older one but the apps said it was not suported. kind of stuck.. thanks for assistance.

Reaction score
Hi Gridmstr,

Which version of MacOS are you wanting to install. Once we know that then we can give you suggestions on how to proceed.

Reaction score
Hi Gridmstr,

Which version of MacOS are you wanting to install. Once we know that then we can give you suggestions on how to proceed.
I want to install the latest for this device as long it supports internet and apps i am good with el capitan.

here is the specs:

Reaction score
and here is my other iMAC that has not been wiped that i could possibly use to create boot loader?

Okay, try this on either, or both. Open Terminal (located in /System/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app). Then enter this command,

softwareupdate --list-full-installers

Press <return>. You should see the list of system software and version available for your Mac. The newest version applicable to your Mac should be on top. Make a note on that version number (##.#.#) and let me know.

Reaction score
Hi Hi Gridmstr,

I have been trying to find out a way on how to do this on Windows, but none of the utilities that I tried were able to burn a bootable USB drive that actually boots the Mac.

I have uploaded an zipped image of the El Capitan installer to my my DropBox account and I will private Message you the link.

You can download the file , unzip it and move it to your 2006 iMac and then use Disk Utility to restore the disk image to an 8GB Flash Drive.

What you need to do on the other iMac is open Disk Utility and here are the steps you need to do.
  1. Under the Images menu select Scan Image for Restore..
  2. Navigate to, and select the Mac OS X 10.11.6 Install.dmg file.
  3. Plug in an 8GB flash Drive
  4. On the left column highlight the flash drive (Not the volume)
  5. On the right side click on the Erase tab.
  6. Name the drive Untitled and select Mac OS Extended Journaled.
  7. Click Erase.
  8. After the Flash Drive is erased, on the right click on the Restore tab.
  9. To the right of the source, click on the Image button and select the Mac OS X 10.11.6 Install.dmg file.
  10. Drag the volume Untitled from the left column to the Destination field.
  11. Check Erase Destination
  12. Click on Restore.
Once this is done, you will be able to plug the flash drive into your other iMac and start it while holding down the Option key. Select the Mac OS X 10.11.6 Install and hit Enter. The iMac will boot into the installer, and you will be able to install El Capitan on it.

Let me know if you are successful so that I can remove the file from my DropBox folder.

Ask a Question