Late 2015 iMac Factory Restore

Reaction score
Hello All. I'm a Mac NOOB and asking for help...

Monteray screwed up this box containing a 120GB SSD and a 2TB HDD - both internal. Did a factory restore but disk configuration i all wrong. SSD is boor device but everything else, app installs, data downloads, etc all save to SSD instead of HDD. Is anyone familiar with such a problem and can you suggest a way to fix this so SSD is boot only and HDD gets used for all app installs and data storage?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.
  • Did this iMac originally have a Fusion Drive that was split, or were the SSD or HDD added?
  • Did you previously have it setup in the way you described?
macOS works by installing applications on the macOS drive. It is not recommended to try to install the OS on one drive, and other software or Applications on another. In addition, most application updaters require them to be in the Applications folder on the macOS drive. User home folders are also stored on the macOS drive.

You can however store your data/files on the internal hard drive or an external, which is what I do.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

Thanks for responding and apologies for the late reply. Let me keep this reply to the point.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac16,2
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 16 GB
System Firmware Version: 428.60.3.0.0
OS Loader Version: 540.100.7~23
SMC Version (system): 2.32f21

• 21.5-inch (diagonal) Retina 4K display with IPS technology
  • 4096-by-2304 resolution with support for millions of colors

Processor​

• 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz)
    Configurable to 3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz)

Memory​

• 8GB of 1867MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
    Configurable to 16GB

Storage1​

• 1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
    Configurable up to 2TB Fusion Drive or 512GB of flash storage (SSD)

I'm guessing the answer to your question is that the fusion drive was split during the corrections I was working to make as a result of all the problems I had with Monteray. But... I'm not sure. Maybe this is the problem.

Can you offer any advice on how to determine with complete certainty that this might be the case?

Thanks Very Much Cory!!!

Roch

Ask a Question