SSD for HDD upgrade on 27" Late 2015 imac.

Reaction score
I recently acquired 2 Crucial SSDs, a 480GB and a 240GB, I cloned my 2008 20"(El Capitan) imac to the 240GB and then cloned my 2015 27"(Catalina) imac to the 480GB and booted to the both externally I updated the OS on the 480GB to Big Sur and they were both going well. I decided to transplant the 240GB as an internal drive on the 2008 machine and that also went well. I am now considering transplanting the 480GB (Big Sur) drive into the 2015 machine. I have watched OWC's video on how to do this, it seems simple enough, but I am hesitant to do this, as it seems a little more delicate than with the 2008 machine. Has anyone on here done this type of upgrade? and if so how did it go and what do I need to watch out for.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

The newer iMacs are much trickier to work on, due to the adhesive that connects the display. It isn't a user-serviceable part really, and other internal components can easily be damaged. That said, I highly recommend getting the correct tools/parts - iMac Service Wedge, iMac Opening Tool, Plastic Card and the iMac Intel 27" (2012-2019) Adhesive Strips.

I haven't personally repaired and of the models, so the only suggestion is the proper tools/parts as listed above and be careful. ;) You could also put the SSD in an external enclosure and use it that way.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Cory, much appreciated. I am in no rush to do this as booting externally is working fine and the speed is better than from the old HDD. I guess I might wait until I get a new machine, before I take the plunge.

The 2008 machine was very easy to strip down and work on.

Ask a Question