Late 2015 imac.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I own a 2015 27 inch imac with a 500gb fusion drive ( incorporating a 24gb ssd). The problem I have is that the mac will not update or, for example, download photos. The error message is ' not enough space' even though 400gb of the fusion drive is free. On the 24gb side I only have 1gb of applications , the rest is system library's and operating system. There is 1.41 gb of space left on the ssd. Does everything have to be downloaded to the 24gb ssd? Surely not.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015) and iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) models only came with a 1or 3 TB Fusion Drive. Are you sure yours is 500 GB? Did you partition it by chance?

The Fusion Drive should manage itself - between the SSD and mechanical drive.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015) and iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) models only came with a 1or 3 TB Fusion Drive. Are you sure yours is 500 GB? Did you partition it by chance?

The Fusion Drive should manage itself - between the SSD and mechanical drive.

C
Hi, sorry for the delay in responding( your mail went into my spam folder). It's all a bit strange in that when I go into the system overview (under storage) it shows a 1TB SATA disc ( labelled as the fusion drive) but for some reason it says 425gb available from 499gb ( which is why I initially thought it was a 500gb fusion drive). Next to the fusion drive is the 24gb ssd. I have not partitioned the fusion drive but the iMac was brought second hand ( the company no longer exists). Any other ideas about what's going on ? I can't back up as the Mac produces an error message: 'Not enough space on source disc'.
Many thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Maybe a screenshot from the Disk Utility application, with View > Show all devices checked would help. Or,  > About This Mac > System Report... > Storage.

It sounds like the previous owner may have "split" the Fusion Drive into separate drives.

C

Ask a Question