Reset Admin Password without losing Data

jen

Reaction score
I just got the screen fixed on an old macbook that now works perfectly. It is running 10.5.8. When I went to update, it asked for my password and I tried many things, and couldn't remember it. I didn't have the startup disc so I searched for how to retrieve and wound up rebooting while pressing Command S and following directions that led me to type in a new password and then reboot and get to the Welcome to X screen. As I was going through the setup, it showed that there was not another "volume" on the mac to retrieve the data on the computer from, and it also didn't have a time machine backup to transfer the data from.

I do not want to press the "Do not transfer my info now" and move forward because I'm nervous I will lose all the data on the computer.

How do I move forward from here so that I can change the password to enable updates but not lose any of my data.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi,

A little confused here, were these the instructions you followed as all you were doing was resetting the admin password.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH6317

EDIT:
Just seen you do not have the installation disks so this is how I would do it.
  1. Power on or restart your Mac.
  2. At the chime hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.
  3. This step is optional, but it’s a good idea because it checks the consistency of the hard disk before moving on. At the prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter/Return. Wait for the checks to complete before going to the next step.
  4. Type mount -uw / and press Enter.
  5. Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plistand press Enter.
  6. Type ls /Users and press Enter. This lists all of the usernames on the computer – helpful if you don’t know or remember what these are.
  7. Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password and replace “username” with one of the users displayed in the previous step. Replace “password” with a new password of your choice. Press Enter.
  8. Type reboot and press Enter.

Last edited:

jen

Reaction score
I thought I did this - but now whenever I reboot it takes me to the welcome to X screen and wants me to set up my account. Is there anyway to reboot and get me back to my old desktop that was working just fine and just have them as for my password again when I try to update something.

Reaction score
Hi,

Resetting password should not effect your data and loaded software, unless possibly you encrypted saved docs. And re updating this uses your Apple ID so is not a problem.

Once all is done defiantly backup, there are many ways to do this, then create another account and run in that. It's never good to run as Admin all the time.
Once you have done post back, also re backups look at the sticky thread in Mac OS X.
https://www.mac-help.com/threads/backup-your-mac.211710/

Last edited:

Ask a Question