How to reset Primary Click from Right to Left

Reaction score
Hi I just bought a new mouse to replace the one I'd been using for three years. I opened Mouse Settings to configure it and I accidentally checked "Set Primary Click to Right Click" and now it is impossible for me to have any Left click functionality, including clicking on the box to reset the primary click to Left. I've tried combining my click with Control, Alt, Command, Shift, to no avail. So now, I am unable to do anything with this mouse and my computer is not functional. Seems like such a silly problem and that the solution should be simple, but I cannot figure it out. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Need the following information:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you running?

3. What brand/model mouse did you purchase?

Reaction score
Hmm, real strange that would be the case for a (genuine) Apple mouse. I use Logitech mice on both of my Macs, and I don't have the issue you are having.

Reaction score
Indeed! The mouse was acting funny from the beginning, which is why I opened the preferences in the first place, so perhaps it's faulty.

Reaction score
Actually, just paired the mouse with a friend's computer and it's acting fine. Somehow I have to fix the preferences on my computer though...

Reaction score
Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (free and commercial) that can help you with that.

Also, are you making backups to an external drive? That is always critical.

I guess one other thing you could try is to apply the OS 10.9.5 Combo Updater, available from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1760?locale=en_US

Ask a Question