Recovery mode?

Reaction score
I can't get to Recovery Mode! I restart with Command-R, and I end up with a screen with a circle with a bar through it. Help!

Reaction score
The international “NO” symbol usually indicates a problem with the startup disk and the usual recommendation is to start in recovery mode, which puts you in a quandary. Have you tried internet recovery mode (cmd-option-R)? If you have an attached bootable disk, you can also try rebooting with the option key down to list your choices.

It always helps if you can indicate your Mac’s model and the OS version.

Reaction score
Sorry, this is an old iMac 10.13.6.

My problem is that I received it in a mode where I could log in as an administrator, but when I try to make changes in SysPrefs, and have to unlock as an administrator, it won't accept the same password I used to log in. Something screwed up with administrator password. I have nothing on the machine yet, so I'd be happy to just reset everything to the defaults, and set a new admin password. That's what I was trying to do. Is there an easy way to do that?

This is a new machine for me. No other disks to boot from. What is internet recovery mode? I tried cmd-option-R on boot, and everything looks pretty much the same and behaves the same.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It’s good that you’re okay with starting from scratch, the best way being to erase the hard drive and reinstall a brand new OS. However, there is no easy way to do this if you are unable to get into recovery or internet recovery mode. I suggest, at this point, to try resetting the SMC. If I remember right, with the iMac, all you need to do is pull the power cord from the Mac, wait 15 seconds, then plugging it back in. Wait another 10 to 15 seconds and press the power button.

If it starts up, and if you still experience the problem with System Preferences not recognizing your login password, try zapping the parameter RAM (PRAM). From the iMac powered down, restart and immediately hold down the command-option-P-R keys simultaneously until you hear the startup chime TWICE. Let go and allow it to start up normally. If you still have trouble with System Preferences not recognizing your admin password, you could try creating a new user with admin status, then restart and log in with the new user. If the problem persists, you may need to try recovery mode again.

From recovery mode, I suggest wiping the hard drive by invoking Disk Utility to erase the disk, and afterwards, opting to reinstall macOS.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Well, I inherited the machine with no OS disks, so that's not really an option.

Resetting the SMC and PRAM didn't help.

Creating a new user with Admin privleges is a nice idea except, as I said, I can't use the administrator password to unlock SysPrefs/User&Groups to do that!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry, the conundrum didn’t occur to me. Try the SMC reset anyway, and then try rebooting into Safe Mode. Reboot and then hold down the Shift key until you get to the login screen. If it’s an extension causing the problem, Safe Boot will load the OS without extensions.

Reaction score
Trying to boot into safe mode yielded a NO signal, as when I tried to boot in to Recovery Mode. Won't work.

Again, what I need to do is to establish a working Administrator account. One that can unlock in SysPrefs. Oh, when I log in as administrator, and go to SysPrefs/Users&Groups, I'm sitting in the Administrator account. Without any unlocking (which I'm unable to do), I can try nd change the Administrator password, but that doesn't help. I still can't unlock with Administrator.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The next thing I would try is to select the startup disk in Finder, “Macintosh HD” by default, get info (command-I), and at the bottom right corner of the info window is the padlock icon. Click and enter your password (hopefully it will allow this).

By default, there should be three categories, system, wheel, and everyone. Privileges should be Read & Write, Read only, and Read only. If your settings are different, then this could be the problem. If you have the correct settings and the padlock is open, click on the … pulldown and select “Apply to enclosed items… ”An alert will come up. Click OK and let it do its thing. Give it some time to effect the change, which depends on how much data you have. After a restart, check to see if anything changed with your privileges.

Reaction score
Nope. Won't let me in. Something strange in that I can log in as Administrator with the administrator password, but once in, I can't unlock any padlocks with it. I'm headed to a Mac repair place today.

Reaction score
OK, end of story. They just rewrote the whole OS, and I'm now good to go. Still not sure I can get to Recovery Mode, but it's not clear this 2008-era iMac offers that.

Ask a Question