Reboot or LogOff when Idle

Reaction score
I have a mid-2014 MacBook Pro Retina running El Capitan Version 10.11.5.

I'm trying to download something in the background using the company's launcher program (a large video game), so it's not an issue with Safari as the download is occurring in the game company's program. This was not downloaded from the app store.

Also, I have tried this with other programs instead (the Steam program downloading games).

I launch the program and the progress bar indicates that it is downloading data, giving me bit rate per second and total remaining numbers. I walk away for 20 minutes or so, and when I come back the screen will be at login with my profile, my wife's, and the guest profile. Does anyone know why this is happening?

I realize the MacBook automatically sleeps when the lid is closed, so I leave the lid open to download data. In the system preferences menu, under screen saver, I have set it to never turn on. Also under the system preferences, I have the energy savings settings (under both battery and plugged in) set to prevent the computer from sleeping when the display is turned off. The box for putting hard disks to sleep when possible is also not checked. For good measure, I unchecked the power nap option as well. As far as I can see, there is nothing that should be automatically sleeping the computer or logging me out.

I launch the program, verify that it is downloading, and leave the lid open overnight. I have tried dimming the screen via the F1 button, and I've tried it leaving the screen on. When I return I have to press a key to wake the computer, and it is at the login screen. When I log in under my profile (admin) all of my applications are closed and my launch tray is empty except for stickied items. The only dot under running programs is Finder, of course. In my top-right tray the programs I have running are Norton antivirus, 1Password, and Time Machine, but the drive for backing up is not connected. No one else is at home at night so my wife isn't sneaking in and messing something up.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Reaction score
I sat here and watched the screen for a prolonged time just to see what was happening. After quite a while (I should have timed it), maybe 30 minutes, a dialogue box popped up asking if I was sure I wanted to log out. This is the standard logoff box with the checkbox to reopen all windows or not upon rebooting. Nothing else was going on that I could see, and I hadn't touched the computer in that time. Something is logging me out that isn't visible in the preferences menu.

Reaction score
I timed it the second time and it only took 11 minutes, so it's not a consistent idle time. I assume that means some program is doing it randomly?

Reaction score
Problem solved! System Preferences > Security and Privacy > General Tab. Click the lock button and enter Administrator password to access the Advanced button. There you'll find a checkbox for "Logout after (drop-down menu) minutes of inactivity. Information found searching forums elsewhere.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

Sorry we didn't get back to you in time to help you out. We are glad you found a resolution, and appreciate you posting the solution, so that others may benefit from it.

We're here if you need anything additional.

C

Ask a Question