Re-installation nightmare

Reaction score
I tried to do a reinstall of my operating system and something went wrong now it gives me a flashing folder with a question mark on my screen. I push command R and it has me connect to the internet to resolve the issue through internet recovery but then I get an error message 2002 and it refers me to Mac.com support but I can't find error code or help there. Please someone tell me I don't now own a very expensive paperweight

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

This is odd as code 2002= badPublicMovieAtom, which is quicktime related as far as I know.
a flashing folder with a question mark on my screen
A flashing question mark when you start your Mac, means it can't find the system software it needs to start up.

Try starting in safe mode and running disk verify and repiar. If you are unable to get into safe mode then try the following.
Have you got the original install disks that came with the Mac?

Make sure the Mac is off and insert your Mac OS X installation disc. Be sure to use the disk that came with your Mac.
  1. Restart the computer, then hold the C key during startup.
  2. From the Utilities menu, choose Disk Utility. Don't click Continue.
  3. Select your Mac OS X disk (named "Macintosh HD" by default) in the left side of the Disk Utility window.
  4. Click the First Aid tab.
  5. Click Repair Disk to verify and repair any issues with your Mac OS X startup disk.
  6. After repairing the disk, try to start up normally.

Reaction score
There is no DVD drive on the computer I tried to start up in safe mode but it tells me to connect to wi fi so I do and it thinks for a while and then gives me the message. Is there a way to connect to to another computer and fix it that way?

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

This is odd as code 2002= badPublicMovieAtom, which is quicktime related as far as I know.

A flashing question mark when you start your Mac, means it can't find the system software it needs to start up.

Try starting in safe mode and running disk verify and repiar. If you are unable to get into safe mode then try the following.
Have you got the original install disks that came with the Mac?

Make sure the Mac is off and insert your Mac OS X installation disc. Be sure to use the disk that came with your Mac.
  1. Restart the computer, then hold the C key during startup.
  2. From the Utilities menu, choose Disk Utility. Don't click Continue.
  3. Select your Mac OS X disk (named "Macintosh HD" by default) in the left side of the Disk Utility window.
  4. Click the First Aid tab.
  5. Click Repair Disk to verify and repair any issues with your Mac OS X startup disk.
  6. After repairing the disk, try to start up normally.
I may have gotten the error code wrong it was late I was beyond frustrated. I don't have the disks or anything from it on hand I just moved and I have no clue where any info on it is

Reaction score
Hi,
There is no DVD drive on the computer

If there is no CD drive is this a MBA?
Is there a way to connect to to another computer and fix it that way?
1)Put an ethernet cable between the your Mac and another / or a firewire cable.
2) On the other Mac, go into sytstem prefs / go into sharing.
3) In sharing / select internet.

Click share internet from Airport, and tick either ethernet or firewire and then click start.

Hope I have understood.

Reaction score
Thank you so much I got it to work it is amazing how quickly panic sets in when computers go down :)

Ask a Question