QuickLook default?

Reaction score
I like QuickLook, wherin you select an item, press the space bar, and either the item opens or an info pane about that item opens. What I don't understand is that when I haven't selected any item, and I press the space bar, an info pane on ONE PARTICULAR FILE opens. It's a file that I haven't looked at in a day or more. What makes that file special? In fact, when I press the space bar, that one file gets selected. Huh?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like QuickLook, wherin you select an item, press the space bar, and either the item opens or an info pane about that item opens. What I don't understand is that when I haven't selected any item, and I press the space bar, an info pane on ONE PARTICULAR FILE opens. It's a file that I haven't looked at in a day or more. What makes that file special? In fact, when I press the space bar, that one file gets selected. Huh?
I’m assuming that you are pressing the space bar with Finder as the active app. If you don’t have any open Finder windows, then the default location would be your desktop (folder). The file that gets the “quick look” would be the first item on your “list” depending on how you have your items sorted. My best guess…

Reaction score
Yes, the file that QuickLook adopts is on my desktop, and yes, the file that it opens is the top one on a alphabetized list of files there. That seems a little klunky. Makes more sense not to open anything, if nothing is selected.

By the way, I seem to have accidentally posted a duplicate question. How do I delete?

Ask a Question