Moving to outlook from default Mac mail

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a friend that has been having the known Mac mail problem of emails going blank. We have tried a mail rebuild and this helps for a while but then the problem comes back. He doesn't want to upgrade to Big Sur yet, he would rather wait a while so any bugs can be worked out. He currently uses Catalina on a 2015 iMac. He runs a small charity with a registered domain name and its this email account that has the problem. This email uses the Microsoft exchange server etc. Obviously as its a well used account his Mac mail has several folders that contain read/filed emails. Is there a way to get those folders/old emails to appear in the browser based outlook? If not then would they automatically be built if he used the Mac outlook app instead?

I am struggling to get my head around the link between his email/exchange server /Mac mail etc and dont want to risk advising him and potentially making things worse or even losing emails!

Thanks

Dave (Im new to the forum and to the Mac environment so be kind regarding my ignorance!)

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like the email folders are stored on his Mac. If so, then they won't show in the browser-based Outlook or in the Outlook app, unless he did a migration from Apple Mail to Outlook (not sure if that is still possible).

They could be copied back to the Exchange server by creating new folders in that section in Apple Mail, then dragging the emails to those folders.

Email accounts can be setup as POP (client-based) or IMAP (server-based). Exchange is normally server-based, unless you make folders locally on your Mac and drag the emails to those folders. They are then "removed" from the Exchange server and stored locally.

That make sense at all?

C

Ask a Question