Dock Apps Not Moving (After Many Attempts)

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry if this is not in the right place, first time here and not really sure where else to go.

So I work in a lab with 6 computers (all on either High Sierra or Mojave, currently in the process of updating), my task was to get the docks looking the same for the students coming in this summer. Simple enough. But the apps wouldn't move when I dragged them, and if I right clicked them there would be no "remove from dock" option. So I figured maybe they were locked (there is an admin account) so I checked to see if parental controls were on, and they were not.

I tried setting the user as an administrator but nothing changed. I tried logging into the admin account first and then changing to the student account through the option in the top right corner but still no. I tried booting in safe mode, and I tried deleting the dock.plist but still nothing. Considering the same issue is happening with all 6 computers I am 99% it has something to do with admin rights and I'm just being stupid but I'm not sure what is happening.

It's really not a huge deal but at this point I just need to know what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you for any help you can give!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few questions for you:
-Are you using any form of MDM (Mobile Device Management) system?
-Do all the Macs use the same login, or do students login with their own network/mobile accounts?

C

Ask a Question