Is it safe to use two charging docks?

Reaction score
2018 i9 MBP

I am already using a CalDigit which charges at 87w.

I would like to add a second dock for more accessories, which also charges but at 60w.

As I understand it the MBP will just pick the first one it sees plugged in, but if there is another with current coming in another port, can this cause any damage or problems?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-It's a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) correct?
-I assume it is this CalDigit model: CalDigit USB-C Dock?
-What is the second dock's brand/model?
-Your MBP above requires an 87W charger, so the 60W wouldn't charge it anyway.

I am not sure whether it would cause an issue. It may be best to contact CalDigit directly, as they would probably be able to answer that inquiry.

Please let us know what hey say, so that others may benefit in the future.

C

Reaction score
A couple of clarifications.

Yes 2018 new MBP core i9 2.9ghz 15” 32GB Ram.

The CalDigit is the TS3+ Model.

It’s a Thunderbolt 3 dock which has numerous breakout ports, including various forms of USB, but also video, Audio, SD, etc.

According to the manufacturer of a different dock I looked at (I’m shopping around and don’t remember at the moment), a 60w charger will absolutely charge the MBP, albeit just more slowly.

I may in fact put a second CalDigit TS3 on the machine. It’s just expensive and some things would be redundant. In any case the 2nd dock will be a multiport device with Thunderbolt 3 as the gateway. So it would be full TB 3 bandwidth, not just USB-c. I just haven’t decided on the brand yet because I want to optimize price for the additional ports I need.

My assumption is that the amount of current (whether 60w or 87w wouldn’t matter because the concern is whether anything singnificantly beyond a Normal 87w coming into the MBP as charging current—even if on other ports—could damage it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The people at CalDigit confirmed that it is safe to use two chargers. One will simply be ignored (in terms of incoming current).

Ask a Question