Mac Not Communicating with Targus Universal Dock?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First off, I apologise if I'm posting in the wrong place - I'm new..

I'm having issues getting my Macbook Air (13-inch, mid 2012, OS X El Captain) to communicate with a Targus Universal Dock410 to display on two HP EliteDisplay E240s. Everything works perfectly fine with my work laptop (another HP), but plugging my Macbook into the dock just results in my HP screens not finding any input signal.

I've checked on Targus' site and downloaded and installed both 'USB Graphics Software for Mac OS X and Mac OS 10.11 to 10.13 (v.4.1)' and 'RealTek Ethernet Driver for Mac OS X (v.1.0.17)' but neither have made any difference.

Is there a procedure or piece of software I'm missing?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Is the Targus model number actually DOCK410USZ, and is it this model USB-C Universal Docking Station?
-I believe the DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Mac OS X and Mac OS 10.11 to 10.13 (v.4.1) requires a Mac with USB-C ports, which your MacBook Air model doesn't have...it has a Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort video port, and two standard USB 3 ports (non-video).

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that Targus dock will work with your MBA.

C

Reaction score
Hey Cory, thanks for the quick response!

Yes, it is the USB-C Universal Docking Station.

Shame... if I got an adapter (Mini DisplayPort to USB-C) and then plugged that into the station the existing USB-C cable I currently use for my other laptop would it get around the issue?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Unfortunately, I doubt that would work. Those adapters are for connecting USB-C computer ports to Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt devices, and not the other way around.

C

Ask a Question