SOLVED Moving files on my imac pro

Reaction score
I just spent many hours editing photos for online sales. The ease of editing was far better then my pc which I just now switched from. I've been PCing since the late 80s with a 286 zooming at 20mhz.
Today I realized I have to separate listed from not listed etc. After getting going for a couple hours with the seemingly easy file management system on this machine, I was interrupted for a couple hours. When I came back my files were scattered all over the desktop, also in other folders and sub folders I'm using. WHAT HAPPENED? The reason i quit pc was because my files would be hidden and after taking 800 pictures I would end up with only 600-700 after downloading from my camera. Up until now I was very excited to find 1800 pictures in my folder on my imac, ready for editing. But to go away and come back to find this, I'm ready to take my sledge hammer to all 6 of my computers. Is the push to get us into the realm of making everything public through the nsa cloud, AKA the AI brain. The way computers work today compared to 15 years ago is a shame!!! To have to spend hours even days to prepare the stupid box of rocks before business can be accomplished is unethical, and immoral!!!

Reaction score
What model Mac are you using?
What MacOS are you using?
What software are you using?
Do you have a backup?

Reaction score
This is my first Mac and I'm amazed!
it is a 2011 running High Sierra 10.13.6
using the photos app preinstalled
No backup. I figures 3.5 TB would suffice since the iCloud messages I get state that all my files will stay on this machine until I get low on space.
After finally making a little sense out of the software and getting it somewhat back in order, today it is all gone. What kind of nonsense is this? Definitely unethical. I have been trying to do my business for 2 months. I killed 2 PCs, so I was hoping that with 3.5 TB and the iCloud crime turned off I would be able to get back to work!

Reaction score
It is hard to figure out what has happened if this occurred without user input.
Can you describe your workflow?

I import my images to an external drive, into uniquely named folders, the images are edited in GIMP or Pixlemator and the edited files are saved to a sub folder called 'processed' this disk is then backed up to a separate external disk.

Reaction score
How long have you been using a Mac?

I've been using PC for 30 years and since the "cloud" has cursed the whole idea behind computing, all file management has become next to impossible. As if computer companies don't have enough money they want us to buy space in a "cloud based file management system that does not work and never will unless you own the cloud or high up corporate. The ridiculousness of keeping your files up to date otherwise they are deleted??? With 3.5 TB of HD onboard. . . I'm lost in this cloud of ignorance and stupidity.

For 30 years I've been keeping databases well organized with my personal pictures and such. About 10-15 years ago pictures started being deleted , and the excuse if that the more you use, or move your files the quality deteriorates. This is far from the truth.

Since I've been doing online sales I was using GIMP, then I scored on Corel paint shop pro 2020 Ultimate and started saving lots of time putting out high quality pictures. Then all the PC clouds overshadowed the whole idea behind file management. File management has been dumbed down as if the deterioration has somehow affected it.

Reaction score

I import my images to an external drive, into uniquely named folders, the images are edited in GIMP or Pixlemator and the edited files are saved to a sub folder called 'processed' this disk is then backed up to a separate external disk.

To have to import to an external drive is by far, miles away from efficient use of a computer. To transfer files from your HDD or SSD to a flash drive, external HDD takes 10 times longer then transferring from one folder to another on the existing drives.

The unethical treatment I have been receiving is causing me great hardship. This is typical of what has been happening to me for the last 2 months: last night and today I have been taking pictures of items to list in my online stores. I took about 800 pictures. I just now sat down to upload to my computer for editng. I opened photos and selected the SD card that the pictures are on. I tried to copy and paste, drag and drop, like I have been doing on here when it works. So I tried the "import new photos" and voila!!!! The folder that I created for the new pictures was just filled with all sorts of pictures, and not just the new ones. Before I hit that cursed "import" button I tried to sort by name, which is the order "I" want for my pictures but I could not sort, the sort button had "keep sorted from oldest to new" and I could not change it. What's so amazing about this thing "iMac", everything changes seemingly by itself. The AI, Han and Sophie whose brain is the cloud are given partial control over the whole internet, with the intention of forcing everyone to expose all their data, files, pictures to the world via the "cloud" which BTW is also the NSA data storage facility in Utah.

Reaction score

Thank you again. I just figured it out. I just hope I remember next time.
I still cannot figure out why they don't have one photo editing app that works nstead of having to take all that time to run the picture through two apps. I started with GIMP again. It runs very fast on my 3.4GHZ. The PC is very slow compared to this. Thanks again, take care, Jeff

Ask a Question