Moving iTunes files from old iBook to new iMac

Reaction score
I feel like this should be an easy task, but so far I have been unable to do it. I've followed all the instructions for different methods I've seen on apple's website, and so far I have been unsuccessful. I think it may be due to my beyond out of date iTunes on my old iBook G4, but when I try to update the program it says none is available. I have tried HomeSharing, an ethernet cable, etc but I can't seem to get my songs to my new machine.

Can anyone help?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You could copy the entire iTunes Library folder to the new iMac using Target Disk Mode on the iBook G4.

Do you have any songs currently on the iMac, or is your entire collection only on the iBook?

C

Reaction score
Thanks!
I was able to transfer my purchased files from the iBook to the iMac, but not any of the music I uploaded from CDs. I also have some files I have purchased since getting the iMac.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Regarding Target Disc Mode, does your iBook have a firewire port? I think only the last 2 models did ...

If it does, follow the steps here to set it up:

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disc mode

How large is your iTunes library? If the iMac can see the iBook then you can drag & drop from one to the other, is this what you've been trying?

I recommend doing it in batches otherwise dragging a large amount of files can cause a bit of a bottle-neck. You can drag them from the iBook's Music folder right onto the iTunes Library window on the iMac if in the iTunes preferences you have a tick in the box next to:

'Copy files to iTunes Folder when copying'
Otherwise, just drag them onto the Desktop

Last edited:

Ask a Question