Moving files to Lacie hd

Reaction score
My wish is to move files from my startup disk to the Lacie hd. When I do a drag and drop, the files end up being copied to the Lacie, which is not what I want, cause the original now has the cloud symbol (in one case, another not) which kind of confuses me. But mostly all the crap I wanted to move is still on start up, and I'm a little hesitant to delete even though there is a copy on the Lacie. Anyhow, would appreciate any pointers on this...thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

If you hold the Command key down, then click and drag the file to the LaCie, it will move the file instead of copy. If you are getting a small blue cloud symbol, it sounds like you are running at least macOS Sierra, and have iCloud Drive setup with the option for Desktop & Documents Folders enabled. If you copy a file to the LaCie, you can delete it from your Mac. However, for safety and backup reasons, you should have a second external hard drive to make a Time Machine or other backup of your Mac's internal drive AND the LaCie drive. It's not a question of if the drives will fail, but when.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question