Question: Concerning upgrading a downgraded OS X, and a related question about Chrome.

Reaction score
I have a 2007 MacBook Pro recently downgraded to OS X Version 10.6.8. Processor: 2.4 GHz Inter Core 2 Duo, Memory GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, Start up Disk Macintosh HD.

Following a recent upgrade from Mavericks > El Capitan, the computer began going haywire. I attempted to use disk utility to diagnose/fix, but a Google search of one of the problems suggested that I repair the disk, being sure to backup first. I thought it would be no problem, as I have an external hard drive plugged into my computer, originally set to backup constantly. However, in opening it, I saw that it hadn’t backed up anything since March (shortly following the El Capitan backup I had problems and apple care had me disconnect the external drive as we worked on the original problems, and I physically connected it, it was apparently never re-set with Time Machine.) I couldn’t access the preference settings, and so I called apple care for help re-setting Time Machine.

I explained to him 3 times during the call that before I “repaired” anything, I needed to first back up the hard drive. The tech support person said that he understood, and that he first needed to re-run disk utility to diagnose the overriding problem, but would backup the external drive before “fixing” anything. Unfortunately, he did went ahead and attempted to repair it prior to backing it up, and as a result, ALL of my files disappeared. Call was escalated to a level-2 tech who tried trouble shooting, but couldn’t fix it, and she sent a message to the engineering dept. Their response was that I most likely had a hardware problem, and should take it to a genius bar because they had ways to diagnose it beyond the capacity of phone support. I did so, and a wonderful tech guy was able to find and move the files to my backup drive.

He recommended that since the disc was in fact damaged, I should replace it with a new internal hard drive prior to re-installing the operating system. I did so, and the next day, took it back to the store so that the operating system could be installed. He had advised me not to go beyond Yosemite, as although newer versions could technically be installed, the other parts of the machine were not built to handle the likes of El Capitan. He wasn’t there when I took it back, and two other geniuses concurred, and went even further, strongly recommending that I go no further than Snow Leopard, (10.6.8), and so that is what was installed. They then manually copied the saved files from the external drive to the computer. The file organization was lost, but after a month or so of organizing, I should be able to straighten out that issue. Non-Apple applications seemed to be missing (Chrome and Adobe Reader).

Unfortunately, this downgrading inadvertently created a huge problem for me. I happen to also have an old Dell PC running XP that I keep because some important programs on it are not available on the Mac platform, and a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone. I have been using Google chrome as the browser on all 3 devices, and was thereby able to wirelessly sync my Gmail messages, contacts, and calendars, as well as my chrome bookmarks between them. (I have thousands of files). Depending upon where I am working I use all of the Gmail functions on whatever device I am using, and often save articles, locations, directions, etc. to bookmarks that I can retrieve on my phone as needed when I am out and about.

Now that Google is pulling back support for Chrome, it no longer supports it on Macs running versions 10.8 or older, and Chrome’s website will not let me install the current version. In the mess of my files, it appears that Chrome version 49.02623 112 was there, and I was able to sign into Gmail and retrieve my messages this afternoon. However, this evening I started getting the perpetually spinning beach ball within a minute of signing in, and could get nothing accomplished. I deleted browsing history, cookies, cache, etc., and disabled all extensions, but it did not help.

It is urgent that I be able to retrieve some critical files associated with a project on which I have been working for the past 4 months, and email them to a colleague as a deadline is rapidly approaching. It would also be a huge loss of functionality for me to no longer be able to sync (preferably automatically and wirelessly) my Gmail messages, calendar, contacts, and my bookmarks across these devices with their unfortunately diverse operating systems.

I am hoping that some members of this community can weigh in as to:

1) Whether it would be safe for me to upgrade my OS X to 10.9 in order to install a better version of Chrome, and,

2) If so, to which version of Chrome, or

3) If, like the apple geniuses, you believe that it would be inadvisable to do so, whether there is an alternative app or workaround method via which I can sync (preferably automatically and wirelessly) my Gmail messages, calendar, contacts, and my bookmarks across these devices with their unfortunately diverse operating systems.

Any information that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-How much RAM?
-What is the size of the replacement hard drive and how much free space is available?
-Do you have a specific need for Acrobat Reader, as OS X has the same functionality built-in to the Preview app?
-What other apps do you use that would need compatibility with a more recent version of OS X?
-Are the files you need access to and to email to your colleague located on your Google Drive? And, what application created them?

While I agree somewhat with what the Apple Genii stated, I currently run a MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid/Late 2007, 2.4GHz) with 4 GB RAM and a Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD. It runs OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 beautifully. Of course, since it is at the lowest limit of the system requirements for El Capitan, and its hardware is almost ten years old, it may not have the speed of a current/more recent MacBook Pro. But, it doesn't have any issues and runs El Capitan very smoothly.

If you are going to upgrade beyond Snow Leopard, then I wouldn't necessarily go to Mavericks. Yosemite or El Capitan would be a better choice, especially with your Google Chrome requirements. The version of OS X you decide to go with will determine the maximum version of Google Chrome you can install, as you know. Sometimes it can be hard to fin older versions of Chrome, as Google is very good at removing access to older versions.

Please let us know your thoughts on this and if you have any addition questions or concerns.

C

Reaction score
Thank you, Cory, for your thoughtful response. I apologize for taking so long to get back to you, but with the Chrome/Gmail issues I am having, I missed the notification email that I had received a reply. I apologize in advance for the amt of detail I am burdening you with, but don’t know what of this is sufficient, and what necessary.

How much RAM? 2 x 2GB DDR2 SD Ram 667 MH = 4

What is the size of the replacement hard drive and how much free space is available? Capacity: 479.76 GB Available: 434.68 GB

Do you have a specific need for Acrobat Reader, as OS X has the same functionality built-in to the Preview app?I don’t know that I need Reader. I inherited this computer from my daughter. It already had Reader on it, and I was familiar with it, as I had already been using it on my PC. I attempted to fill out PDF form In Preview, selected annotate then text, nothing happened. I couldn’t add anything. I’m not a big fan of Reader, and if I can learn how to use Preview, I would be delighted to do so.

What other apps do you use that would need compatibility with a more recent version of OS X? Skype, MS Silverlight, JavaScript

Are the files you need access to and to email to your colleague located on your Google Drive? And, what application created them? No. I am paranoid that I will make a mistake with permissions when uploading items to my Gdrive and somehow make them available to the world
Instead, I have created a Folder on the hard drive in which I save everything in its own subfolder. e.g.
Jones Project
Client Info & requirements
Desired Components (word doc)
Availability/sourcing (excel spreadsheet)
Cost (excel spreadsheet)
Cad Drawing (created on desktop, saved s JPG, emailed to myself as an attachment, saved here)
Proposal (word Doc)
Scheduling (excel spreadsheet)
Invoice (created in QuickBooks Pro 2002 on my desktop, sent to myself as email attachment, saved here).

Cumbersome method, I know, but the compartmentalizing enables me to know exactly where to look when I need to retrieve an item. When I am collaborating with a colleague I simply attach the pertinent document to an email. Perhaps if I can learn to do the permissions correctly, I could save everything from both of these computers on the Google drive, and be able to skip the emailing files to myself step, and have everything for the project on the Google drive instead of the hard drive. Do you happen to know whether it is possible to store files on Google drive using a method similar to that I work with on my hard drive? In your opinion, would it be advisable/safe to do this, or is Google really the invasive demon that many on the mac forums think it is?

New developments in my computer issues in the interim between asking my initial question and finding your response:
There is a version of Google Chrome already on my computer.
I don’t know whether I somehow installed it when I attempted to do so upon arriving home from the Apple Store where I had just learned I no longer had Chrome. The notice at top of install page indicated it was no longer supported on the Mac version I have, and I assumed that it wasn’t installed. Or, whether it hadn’t disappeared during the file transfer in the first place, and was merely in the jumble of files that had been copied to my external backup disk and then copied back to new drive—some in Documents, some in a folder the genius created in his attempt to duplicate my former org. system. In any case, when working with a Verizon Tech with remote access on an unrelated issue she noticed that I do, in fact, have Chrome on my computer, and I could see my email messages there.

Following that session, I put the computer to sleep, when I woke it, Chrome was still there, but the computer was having huge problems.

The cursor was frozen; I couldn’t navigate. A hard shutdown and start resolved that temporarily, but recurs nearly every time I put the comp to sleep. I cannot imagine that all of these forced shut downs are good for the computer. Is there a keyboard shortcut that would allow me to restart?

Another wakeup brought up an error msg: “Debugger called; <Button SCI> Ethernet Mac Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00 IP Address: 0:0:0:0 Waiting for remote debugger connection dbp – poll: no debugger device" (A similar msg had appeared while genius was attempting to copy the files from my ext. hard drive back to the newly installed internal drive. At that pt. he consulted another genius, and together they made the decision that the files shd be manually copied. I have no idea whether any of this is pertinent, but it is the only other time I have seen such a message and have no concept of what generates it or what it means.) Doing another hard shut down, and re-opening resolved this.

On both Facebook and email, the spinning beach balls were appearing within 30 seconds of being on either site. On a website for a location I was seeking, Gmaps was unable to calculate directions. However, tried it again today, and it’s wkg. And stable. Just wish that I could trust it to stay that way.

While I agree somewhat with what the Apple Genii stated, I currently run a MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid/Late 2007, 2.4GHz) with 4 GB RAM and a Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD. It runs OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 beautifully. Of course, since it is at the lowest limit of the system requirements for El Capitan, and its hardware is almost ten years old, it may not have the speed of a current/more recent MacBook Pro. But, it doesn't have any issues and runs El Capitan very smoothly.

If you are going to upgrade beyond Snow Leopard, then I wouldn't necessarily go to Mavericks. Yosemite or El Capitan would be a better choice, especially with your Google Chrome requirements. The version of OS X you decide to go with will determine the maximum version of Google Chrome you can install, as you know. Sometimes it can be hard to fin older versions of Chrome, as Google is very good at removing access to older versions.

I am greatly encouraged that your system is so similar to mine, and that you are not experiencing probs running El Capitan. The impression that I got from the genii was that running El Capitan was the likely cause of the problems I have been having. I’m wondering whether instead it may have been due to my ignorance as to how to manage the computer. I have been led by the hype to believe that MACs are generally trouble-free, and don’t require maintenance like PCs do such as free up space on hard disk and defrag, and so I ‘d done nothing. Perhaps my issues were related to corrupt files or other issues already present on the MAC when I upgraded to El Capitan” When following the upgrade, I began having zillions of beach balls, & extremely frequent “Chrome shut down on its own” incidents, I ran the disk utility & saw that it kept finding: Invalid extent entry, Keys out of order, Missing thread record, Invalid volume file count -but was unable to repair them. Hence, call to Apple Support that led to the phone tech person’s attempt to re-install the operating system (before I could back up my files) causing the (temporary) loss of all of them.

I’m now wondering whether perhaps those issues had already been lurking there, and that the additional demands of El Capitan rendered those previous issues too much for the system to handle. Are there maintenance tasks I shd be performing routinely to keep my computer trouble free? Shd I install a anti-virus, or anti-malware programs, & if so, what would you recommend? Is there something else I should be doing regularly?

Chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 (64-bit) is currently on my computer. I have been unable to determine for which MAC OS X it was designed. If I shd take courage from your experience with El Capitan, and move up my OS X to Yosemite as this was the highest level recommended by the 1st Apple Genius who was able to retrieve my files, how do I go about it?

Shd I go incrementally, or directly, to Yosemite?

Since I don't know which vers. of Chrome is designed to work w/ Yosemite, shd I delete the one currently on my computer prior to updating the OS X and then try to install whichever vers. Chrome suggests/provides through their website once I install Yosemite, or

Leave the current vers. in place, and hope it will play nicely with Yosemite?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-How much RAM?
-What is the size of the replacement hard drive and how much free space is available?
-Do you have a specific need for Acrobat Reader, as OS X has the same functionality built-in to the Preview app?
-What other apps do you use that would need compatibility with a more recent version of OS X?
-Are the files you need access to and to email to your colleague located on your Google Drive? And, what application created them?

Please let us know your thoughts on this and if you have any addition questions or concerns.

C
Hello and welcome.

-How much RAM?

C

Sorry for this part 2 to my recent response to your reply to me. I couldn''t seem to get it below the 10,000 character count requirement although Word showed that I actually had 9,778 - with spaces. I re-edited it 5 times, and if I abbreviated another letter, or smooshed together distinct areas of concern any more than I already had, I feared they will be unintelligible to the reader. My issues all seem so interrelated, and the choices I need to make will likely have consequences I cannot anticipate as my understanding of computer magic does not go deep enough. Hence, I try to include all the things that may be relevant, and anticipate potential ramifications of my choices because I am paralyzed with fear that I will lose all my files, and because I fear that I am losing my ability to synch and use my info as I have been, and am too unknowledgeable to figure out an alternative path.

While thanks to you, I am more comfortable than before with the idea of taking the path toward upgrading as far as Yosemite, I am still concerned that it is only a matter of time until this solution to my syncing issue will not work. Google says it has withdrawn Chrome support for the MAC products bec. Apple doesn’t support it, and Windows XP and Vista because Microsoft doesn’t support it. My concern is twofold:

Lack of security fixes (albeit of smaller concern on the Mac than on Windows)

Future discontinuations at a point beyond which this old tired computer won’t be able to go.

Therefore, I am still interested in finding out whether there is any other method by which I can sync emails, calendars, contacts, and bookmarks across devices so that I can access this information wherever, however, I happen to be working. For example,

Do the various “clouds” allow storage of only files, photos, and music, or do any of them provide for the items I need to access frequently?

Are there any stand-alone synch programs that can be installed across devices and gather and sync this information?

Are there other methods that you have been able to navigate?

Thank you again. I hope that the vastness of my ignorance on this topic as demonstrated here by the multitude of my descriptions and questions hasn’t scared you away, and that you will be willing and able to lead me a little further along the path toward understanding this technology.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...I am not scared. ;)

Let me digest all of this and I will get back to you.

C

Ask a Question