Question about using the IAC driver

Reaction score
I just bought a new(er) iMac with OS Sierra. I have an Edirol PCR-300 MIDI keyboard controller that I was using with my old computer to make music, but now I've found out that the company is no longer updating the drivers for the keyboard, so it won't work with Sierra. However, I did find a note somewhere in the ReadMe files for the keyboard that says if you're trying to use it on an os that isn't supported you can use the os's built-in midi driver instead. Is that what the IAC driver is for the Mac? I read some pages about using the IAC driver but I can't get it to work and I don't know if I'm even pursuing something that's possible. If anyone knows anything about this or could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Thanks, yes, I read that one and followed the instructions but my keyboard's still not showing up on my computer so I figured I had to do some kind of setup/configuration on the computer end as well. That's why I'm trying to figure out what exactly the "built-in midi driver" on my computer is. I see the "IAC Driver" in the MIDI Studio window and I'm wondering if that's the built-in midi driver.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Can you post a screenshot of the Midi Studio Window please? Shift Command 4 the position the crosshairs in the window then press spacebar then click the mouse to take the shot ... if you don't already know that is :)

Reaction score
Sure:
Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 11.20.50 PM.png

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
It may be as simple as clicking Rescan Midi but otherwise lets tackle this using the inbuilt Audio MIDI Setup app:
  • Launch the Audio MIDI Setup (Applications~>Utilities~>Audio MIDI Setup)
  • Click on the "MIDI Devices" tab.
  • Click on the tab named MIDI Devices.
  • Make sure your MIDI interface is recognized.
  • You should see an icon in the Audio MIDI Setup window.
If you don't see it you should click on Rescan MIDI

Audio MIDI Setup may be different in Sierra there may or may not be an MIDI Devices Tab & you may need to choose "Window" then choose "Show MIDI Window.

Reaction score
Hi, I don't know what changed but now it's working! I had already been doing the steps you described above but the icon for my keyboard wasn't appearing. I tried it again anyway just cause you said to and all of a sudden there it was! I guess there must have been something I wasn't doing properly before. Anyway, thanks!

nix

Reaction score
Hey that's great news! Happy to help :)

Hi , Im having the same issues.
Luckily for that guy it worked , but for me nothing.
im using same pcr300 and using sierra.
Any chance you can run by a few other options. i cant get it to work for ableton or logic proX
Cheers in advance

this is what my audio midi set up looks like at the moment.
i just simply want to plug pcr up via usb into my mac and mess around with ni massive untill i get a new sound card.

rescanning does nada!!

so annoying

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 20.33.53.png

Ask a Question