Question about turing / restarting Mac

Reaction score
Hello,

I got mac form my office and now is my question.

How I can restart it and start all over again? can I press some buttons and will he restart itself to fabric setting?

No i can't even log in as its not conect to our server system.

Reaction score
When you say you got your Mac from "my office", is that from the place where you work?

Also, no matter where you got it from, you should have been provided with the needed account/login information.

Some questions:

1. What exact Mac model?

2. What exact Mac OS is on it?

While you are in the Finder (that is the desktop), you can click on the Black Apple icon in the upper left hand corner, and you'll see a "Restart" option there. Just move the mouse pointer down to it, and click on that. The machine will restart, but not to factory settings.

Why do you want to go back to "fabric" (I assume you mean "factory") settings?

Finally, are you trying to connect the machine to your company's servers? If you are, I assume they gave you the necessary login information. And who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)?

Last edited:
Reaction score
yes i got it form my offcie - the same one what i was working before so its my.

When i conect it in home i cant log in on to it anymore.

So i was thinking that like other computers i can restart it to factory setingscant go in finder as i can't log in

how i can check the model and Mac OS with out log in in on to it?

do that means need to bring back to the work and conect it back there to did factory settings?

It was bought in 2010 or 2011 - Mac OS X Sierra 10.12

Reaction score
OK, some more questions:

1. How are you making posts here, ie, what machine are you using? Given that you said "how i can check the model and Mac OS with out log in in on to it?", it seems like you are using another machine to post here. Is that correct?

2. Can you connect to the internet with the machine at your residence (assuming you can use it)?

3. To determine your Mac model, flip it over, and you should see some small "writing". Contained in that is the model number. For example, on my mid 2017 13" MacBook Air, it says "Mac Model A1466, EMC 3178". On my late 2012 Mac Mini, it says "Model No. A1347".

4. Is there anything that you need on the machine? The reason I ask is that if you reset the machine to its factory settings, it will involve completely Erasing and Re-Formatting the internal drive. Also, when you do that, you will need to go through a number of steps to set up the machine, ie, admin account name and password, Network and Internet settings, etc.

5. Just in case, do you have an external backup of all the information on the machine?

Once you answer those questions, we can help you better.

Reaction score
1. I'm using my phone and also I have another computer laptop.
2 yes
3. I will do it as soon I will be home. Now in train :)
4. No there is nothing what i need
5. I have in work but on this one I do not need anything just want to start like new one . I do not mind steps i can do it.

Reaction score
OK, just waiting for your Mac model, then we can proceed.

But just so I am clear, the machine you have at home is yours, not one from the office, correct? Also, do you use your machine at home to connect to your office?

And is that machine a laptop or a desk top?

By the way, earlier you said "It was bought in 2010 or 2011 - Mac OS X Sierra 10.12". Which Mac is that referring to? And if it's the one that is yours, what does "Mac OS X Sierra 10.12"? Is that the OS that is on that machine, or a Mac at the office?

Reaction score
Model is a1312 and its desktop and it's this one what I want to restart to factory settings. They are mine in my home.

Reaction score
OK, it looks like you have an iMac:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...inch-aluminum-mid-2011-thunderbolt-specs.html

Is that your machine? If it is, some good news is that the internal drive is 1 TB in size, and spins at 7200 rpm (revolutions per minute).

This link describes how to proceed:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-reset-mac-factory-settings-3494564/

The Mac OS you "should" get is the latest version of High Sierra, OS 10.13.3. Note that the "speed" of this process will depend upon your internet connection speed.

I suspect you would start at Step 4, booting the machine to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition. Also, note that with the last step, here is what it says:

"Now select 'Reinstall macOS' or 'Reinstall OS X' and follow the onscreen instructions. This will download and install a blank copy of macOS on the Mac. macOS will restart when installation is complete. You may be asked for your Apple ID and password."

Note the "You may be asked for your Apple ID and password". I actually do not know about that part.

Reaction score
OK, sounds good!

Hopefully, things will go smoothly. When you get it up and running, we can offer you assistance about how to keep your Mac "lean, mean, and clean". There are some excellent third party programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that. Also, it would be best if you start making backups. You'll ned to purchase an external drive for that, and there are two ways of making backups. But we can get to that later.

Reaction score
And what now? Clean the disc and try to restore it and got message this has disk smart errors. Cant be repaired replace the disc. It was working before and why not now ?

Ask a Question