Quality of Apple cables

Reaction score
Having been a Mac owner for over 10 years, I have a question.

The (original) power supply for my 2007 MacBook Pro is still in pristine condition - just a bit yellowed with age.

Yet the 'new' 2015 MacBook Pro power supply insulation is breaking down adjacent to the Magsafe connector. I've also noticed that the USB cables supplied with iPhones, iPads and iPod bought within the last 5 years are deteriorating rapidly.

I am appalled that the cable to my MBP is now reinforced with gaffa tape (duct tape) - I'm a retired engineer and know how to look after cabling, but for a machine that cost £2000 (over 3000 USD) the quality is rubbish.

I went on to the Apple Forums and there were around 150 reviews of the power supply cable (in particular), all giving ONE star out of five.

What experience do forum members here have?

See this link (to Apple Forum) https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produ...r-adapter-for-macbook-pro-with-retina-display

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

Sorry you are having issues. Personally, I haven't had any issues with cables from Apple or other brands. But, that doesn't mean others haven't. I can't really comment on Apple's QC process, but I have read many reports like the ones you have linked. I deal with hundreds of Macs at my job, and the failure rate is quite low. My guess is that the percentage of issues is probably low and within industry tolerances, as Apple sells 10-15 million Macs per year.

I guess the only recourse is to visit an Apple Store and have them take a look. Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Cory. My view is that I won't take my stuff to the Apple Store (there is one about 20 miles away). So many others have had similar experiences to me in that the Apple fallback position seems to be that it (any problem) is primarily the owner's fault.

I've been using Macs for over 10 years. I spent my working life as aircrew both military and civil and know a fair bit about the care of electronic kit and the attendant wiring.

In my household we have three MacBook Pros, two iphones, two ipod touches and one iPad Air 2. Over half of them have cables that seem to fray, the insulation peeling back where it joins the plugs. Yet my 10 year old MBP is perfect. The insulating sheath however feels like a different material - so Apple changed something.

Reaction score
Engineer with over 20 years with Apple products: owned every other MacBook, iPhone, iPad, etc. Am very disappointed with recent QC. In addition to failing power supplies, Apple has a licence on working iPhone charging cables with a $5 surcharge for each extra cable: it's already one of the most expensive smartphones on the market! The cables last about 6 months and then claim to be "unsupported" with my phone. My next smartphone, after 10 years with iPhones, will be a Samsung; it can't be more frustrating than the status quo.

Reaction score
I have been an Apple user for 35 years, having started out with the venerable Apple IIE, then moved up to the Apple IIGS, and since 1997, have been using Macs exclusively. I currently have a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air. About the only "pure" Apple cable I have ever owned is the Apple Thunderbolt-to-Firewire 800 adapter (actually no longer need it, as I now have external SSDs inside nice, slim Orico enclosures, and connection is via USB 3.0). Except for one recent instance with a USB 2.0 hub, I have not had any issues with third party cable, hubs, etc. As it is, Apple charges way too much for such products.

Ask a Question