13 inch vs 15 inch : Build quality difference

Reaction score
Hi guys. I was using 13 inch MacBook Pro Mid 2015 for a year. But recently bought the 15 inch MacBook Pro Mid 2015(custom configured to 512GB SSD) which is still under the return period. Right out the box I could feel the display hinge isn’t as tight as the 13-inch, shakes bit easily. The trackpad is equally sensitive but have a bit softer vibration feedback for the click(for the same clickiness setting in System Preferences->Trackpad) and the same thing for the keyboard too. The keys are are softer in feedback(not wobbly) compared to the 1 year old MacBook Pro 13 inch. Considering I’ve spent a hefty amount for this machine and will be definitely using it for 5 years max, Should I worry,

1. whether the display hinge will become even more looser overtime?

2. whether the keyboard will lose it’s original feedback soon and the same with trackpad too? 

First of all I’m not sure whether the Apple Tech guys will agree to my claims and just think I’m crazy.
Second of all by requesting a replacement, Am I just wasting my time because again I may get a device with something else? 

What do you guys say?

PS: The date written on the back of the box(which I guess is the manufacturing date) is 12/2016.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The screen hinge may have slightly more give in the 15-inch model, simply due to the size and weight over the 13-inch. It may "wobble" slightly when the MBP is moved, but unless it "falls" on its own when opened to a wider angle, it is probably within spec. I have seen the same from all MacBook models - the hinge holds the display in place, but does "wobble" a bit if moved or bumped.

The trackpad is the newly designed Force Touch version, which actually doesn't click the same as the older multi-touch version, and is larger than the 13-inch's trackpad on your previous MBP.

I believe that the keyboards on the more recent models, excluding the newly redesigned second-generation butterfly mechanism on the MacBook and 2016 MacBook Pro models, have a bit softer feel. This is evident on the latest model MacBook Airs as well.

1. It may loosen over time as far as stiffness, but it shouldn't increase the "wobble" factor.
2. The keyboard and trackpad should stay relatively the same.

I would bet that Apple would say it is within their spec, but they are sensitive to customer experience. Since it was a custom configured MBP, it may have a slightly different return policy than a standard model. You could always visit an Apple Store or other retailer and check out MBPs similar to yours. You will probably find they are very similar.

Hope that helps and let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.

C

Reaction score
Hey Cooper. Thanks for the reply.
The trackpad is the newly designed Force Touch version, which actually doesn't click the same as the older multi-touch version, and is larger than the 13-inch's trackpad on your previous MBP.
The 13 inch 2015 MBP I used did come with the force touch version. It was at 2015 Apple made it standard except for the MacBook Air.

I believe that the keyboards on the more recent models, excluding the newly redesigned second-generation butterfly mechanism on the MacBook and 2016 MacBook Pro models, have a bit softer feel. This is evident on the latest model MacBook Airs as well.
Maybe you are absolutely right with the keyboard characteristics in the newer non-butterfly models. Mine as per the serial number is manufactured in December 2016. But I don't get why Apple has to tweak it to make it softer since it was already working perfectly in the previous generations for the same design of the MacBook Pro o_O

2. The keyboard and trackpad should stay relatively the same.
Oh that's good to hear but in a day mostly spending time on a mechanical keyboard and when suddenly typing in this machine is really weird for me.

I would bet that Apple would say it is within their spec, but they are sensitive to customer experience. Since it was a custom configured MBP, it may have a slightly different return policy than a standard model. You could always visit an Apple Store or other retailer and check out MBPs similar to yours. You will probably find they are very similar.
I'm thinking about it too but the display models will be very used ones. So can't take that scenario for comparison. Also don't know the manufacturing date of that machines.

I had to replace my previous another MacBook last year for the tint on the screen at bottom. I'm just thinking whether should I take a chance hoping that the replacement unit will be with zero issues or just to move on with this one. Are the problems I'm facing related to the custom build of this machine?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Understood on all.

No, I don't think it is due to it being a custom build, as they are built from scratch when customized, not opened and reconfigured.

I know how you feel, as I have a strong case of OCD. ;) But, having used and serviced literally thousands of Macs over the years, I would bet a replacement would be very similar.

C

Reaction score
Understood on all.

No, I don't think it is due to it being a custom build, as they are built from scratch when customized, not opened and reconfigured.

I know how you feel, as I have a strong case of OCD. ;) But, having used and serviced literally thousands of Macs over the years, I would bet a replacement would be very similar.

C
Hmm. That gives me confidence to try for replacement. I'll be updating....

Ask a Question