Purging old Time Machine backups?

Reaction score
I've migrated my Time Machine backups to an external drive. In the interest of cleaning up my internal drive, how do I purge the huge storage space taken up on my internal drive by Time Machine? Is this supposed to happen automatically when I change the Time Machine disk?

Reaction score
I didn't know that you could do a TM backup to your internal drive. I mean, what would be the point? It's certainly not an option in TM Preferences.

Reaction score
If you don't select an external drive, that's where it's going to put it. The point of an internal backup would be in case you accidentally delete stuff. Obviously if the whole internal disk goes south, then you're screwed in that case.

Reaction score
Yes, in principle, that's a great idea. But it doesn't work. In Monterey. When I do sudo tmutil disablelocal , I get back the error message disablelocal: Unrecognized verb.

Reaction score
Yes, I think the point is that Time Machine space is "expendable", meaning that if you need the space, the oldest TM snapshots will just get killed off. But what I'd like to do is put the TM backup on an external drive that is devoted to TM, so I always know how much is available for TM. My TM external drive will ALWAYS be available. But while TM keeps track of new stuff incrementally via "snapshots", there HAS TO BE one full backup on file to increment to if you want to fully restore a system. That is, a pile of snapshots do not constitute a whole system.

Reaction score
I think that when you did the TM backup to the external drive, it would have taken all the incremental with it.

Reaction score
It seems that it used to be that you could actually set limits on Time Machine storage space. When it hit those limits, is would start erasing. That was true before 10.13. Now, nope, no can do. Why does Apple keep removing handy stuff? That option ought to be part of the Time Machine setup pane.

Ask a Question