New iPod, transfer old contents from DVD

Reaction score
Good afternoon!
I have been running an old iPod with my music contents for 16 years, but now it just doesn't charge anymore.
I purchased a new iPod Touch 2 days ago and was hoping to transfer the contents of the old one to the new iPod from a DVD I burnt as a backup back then. I think this was done according. to what Apple suggested to do, but never had to touch the backup.
The contents are mostly copies of my CD collection at home - we live abroad since 2007.

The files are there, but iTunes on the laptop only plays tracks when the respective DVD is inserted - and when trying to sync with the new iPod, it doesn't find anything. I have a bunch of original CDs here and also some samplers I made, they can easlily be transferred.
How do I get the music over from the old to the new iPod - I thought this is what I made a "backup" for?

Reaction score
Do the music files on the DVD show in Finder? If so, can you not drag and drop them into iTunes?

Reaction score
Thank you!
Yes, they show, I can copy them, and (new!) play them without the original DVD inserted, but... iTunes/iPod does not sync them, even if I convert from M4A to MP3... I guess it is a DRM matter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Meanwhile, after some playing around, iTunes syncs the folder - there was a message coming up that the Touch doesn't find the files, but once I showed where the files were it started to sync. Problem solved, thanks!

Reaction score
I keep having trouble with the file transfer, I was a bit quick with the "good news"!
The iPod takes some of the songs, but not all, ao I have to begin from "zero"...
Andy body here to help

Ask a Question