Keep a folder open.

Reaction score
In older Max OS systems, you could in Settings select to keep the main older open if you clicked another folder in the main folder.
In later OS systems, the main folder stayed open when you held the Command key down when clicking a subfolder in it.
My Mac is now running Big Sur and I find it annoying that I can't keep the main folder open when I click a subfolder in it.
Is there a way to do this anyway? Any tricks?
Thanks in advance
Julien

Reaction score
In older Max OS systems, you could in Settings select to keep the main older open if you clicked another folder in the main folder.
In later OS systems, the main folder stayed open when you held the Command key down when clicking a subfolder in it.
My Mac is now running Big Sur and I find it annoying that I can't keep the main folder open when I click a subfolder in it.
Is there a way to do this anyway? Any tricks?
Thanks in advance
Julien
⌘-(double-click) still works for me. If you cannot make it work on your system, Finder could be damaged. You may have to reinstall macOS or run the latest combo updater, although I don’t think there has yet been a combo update for Big Sur (11.5.2).

Reaction score
Or single Cmnd-click, which opens a new tab in the original window and shows the new window.

Reaction score
⌘-(double-click) still works for me. If you cannot make it work on your system, Finder could be damaged. You may have to reinstall macOS or run the latest combo updater, although I don’t think there has yet been a combo update for Big Sur (11.5.2).
Strangely enough - Cmnd- (double-click) worked for a while but after I once restarted my Mac it didn't work anymore. Weird.
There is a new OS upgrade waiting to be installed but the installation will take two hours according to a message I got, so I have been putting it off. I'll do it soon. Thanks, everybody for your help.

Reaction score
Single Cmnd-Click doesn't do anything in my system, just highlights the folder.
I'll rephrase that. With the Cmnd key pressed, single click on a Folder in the window Side bar, or double click on a Folder in the Finder window, and it will open in a new Tab. I'm on Big Sur as well.

Reaction score
Hi MightyGem, thanks a lot. Indeed this works. It's not as convenient as having both folders open at once but at least now I can transfer files from one folder to another.
I often have the feeling that all these so-called "improvements" in Mac OS are just window dressing and create as many problems as they solve and some of these "improvements" I positively hate.
I still have a computer running on OS 10.6.8 and it does everything that I need to do perfectly without hassle, including Word, Photoshop, Skype, Pages, burning DVDs, etc. I had to buy a new Mac last year because my old one that was running on the OS before Big Sur suddenly stopped working. I have a message now on my screen for still another update that wants to be installed. I wonder what trouble this one will create.

Reaction score
Yes, I know what you mean.
Of course, you don't have to install the new OS if you don't want it, although updates to your current one and security updates are recommended.

Reaction score
Yeah, security updates are the lure to make you install the new OS. The same for the IOS on the iPhone.

Ask a Question