I have an old MacBook Pro (15-inch, late2011)

Reaction score
I want to use FCPX to edit some family images of my grand children but I do not know if this MacBook Pro can use this program or what version of FCP will work on this machine.

Is a MacBook Pro (15-inch, late2011) with a 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Memory and a Graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1GB Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB

I updated my OS to macOS Catalina version 10.15.7

I will appreciate all the help and recommendations.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The current version of Final Cut Pro X requires a minimum of macOS 11.5.1.

Are you going to edit video or photos, as Final Cut Pro is a professional video application?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The current version of Final Cut Pro X requires a minimum of macOS 11.5.1.

Are you going to edit video or photos, as Final Cut Pro is a professional video application?

C
I'd like to continue editing my videos on this MacBook Pro.

I've always edited my videos on a iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010) that finally crashed and died using an earlier version (10.2.0) of FCPX

I am now retired and I make community videos for free, for groups of young art students and also for senior groups.

I have a low economic capacity and to have my iMac repaired by Apple in Portugal where I live is out of my immediate economic range.

This old MacBook Pro was an offer from my eldest son to try to remedy the possibility of my being able to continue editing with FCPX.

For that reason, I would like to know if this Mac can use FCP and what version was advisable.

I sincerely appreciate all help and advice available.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

Your MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) will only support up to macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra, so I am a bit confused on how you uptdated it to macOS 10.15.7 Catalina?

As I mentioned previously, the current/latest version of Final Cut Pro - 10.6.1 requires macOS 11.5.1 Big Sur as a minimum. The latest version of Final Cut Pro compatible with Catalina is 10.5.4, and 10.4.6 is the latest compatible with High Sierra.

It can definitely run FCP, it just depends on if you have access to a compatible version already.

C

Ask a Question