Problems after OS update

Reaction score
Hello,
I just tried installing the most recent OS update on my MacBook Air. During one of the reboots something went wrong and I was left with a black screen with a white circle with a cross through it. I followed some advice of holding down Command + alt + R while booting up and got a menu with four options. I don't have a time machine backup so that's not an option, and at this point I just want my computer to work, restoring the data isn't a big concern. I tried the reinstall OS option but when it asks which disk to install to there are none to choose from. I tried repairing the disk and I get the message "Partition map repair failed while adjusting size for logical volume."
I'm completely computer illiterate (if that wasn't obvious) and I'm really not sure what to do at this point. I was wondering if anyone could be of any help.

Reaction score
First, was the OS you were trying to upgrade to the latest version of El Capitan, 10.11.2?

Secondly, what exact MacBook Air model do you have? I have a mid-2013 13" Mac Book Air model, and I had no issues when I upgraded from OS 10.11.1 to OS 10.11.2. Of course, I applied the OS 10.11.2 Combo Updater from the site:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1850?locale=en_US,

instead of using the OS 10.11.2 update from the App Store. Not sure if that makes much difference, but I always use the Combo Updater. One caveat, though, is that using the Combo Updater would not be useful to do a new, clean, full installation of El Capitan. But, I have the original "Install OS X El Capitan (Version 10.11.1)" file anyway, so I could start with that, and then apply the Combo Updater.

Third, so when you booted to the Recovery HD Partition (I assume you mean Command + R keys, as there is no Command + alt + R combination) and selected Disk Utility, and tried to Repair the disk, you got that message. (By the way, this link explains the Recovery HD partition features in detail:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314)

Did you also try to Erase and Format the Disk while using Disk Utility? If you can do that, then you should then be able to do a fresh installation of the OS you were trying to install (or at least the prior version).

Fourth, have you been performing any periodic disk cleanup/maintenance tasks? Such tasks really need to be done, to avoid (or at least minimize) disk related issues (both from a hardware and software perspective).

Finally, how are you able to post here? Are you doing it from another Mac, your iPhone, your iPad, or another type of device (a Windows machine, maybe?)?

Last edited:

Ask a Question