Problem with Word after updating to Yosemite? (Characters invisible)

Reaction score
So I recently updated to OS X Yosemite, and like many people, I've had a LOT of problems with Word. The main one is that whenever I try to open a document (it seems only to be the ones that were saved to the desktop prior to upgrading), the words (and any other characters) in the "print layout view" are invisible. It's not that they're not there- I know they are, because when I switch to Focus view they appear as normal, and there are little green and red error lines underneath the misspelled invisible words- but I can't see them in that view. Changing the color does not help. If I change the font from its original font (say, to American Typewriter), I can read it, but all of the quotation marks appear as the weird "ê" or "Ê" thing.

I can use "Focus View" as a workaround, but frankly, it's tedious, annoying and kind of ridiculous that I have to. I have things to do for school and work, and this is a major bug. Is there any fix for this? Has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What version of Microsoft Office /Word are you using?

Sounds to me like a duplicate font issue. You can check the fonts by running Font Book in the Applications folder.

C

Reaction score
I'm using Microsoft Word for Mac (2011). If I use that version, will I still be able to access all my other documents through that version?

Not sure which version of Office 2011/Word you have now, but the 14.4.9 update is just that, an update. So, the "new" version of Word, 14.4.9, after applying the update, should work like normal, and like the prior version you have now.

Ask a Question