SOLVED Problem reinstalling mac os after factory reset

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I erased my OS through disk utility in recovery mode, and then when i restarted the laptop in order to reinstall macos, it automatically tries to network connect but just stays blocked, which i guess it makes sense, since after erasing the system i guess all network connection info was lost. Can you guys give me some advice on how to reinstall the OS, please?
Thanks a lot
Vitor

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I erased my OS through disk utility in recovery mode, and then when i restarted the laptop in order to reinstall macos, it automatically tries to network connect but just stays blocked, which i guess it makes sense, since after erasing the system i guess all network connection info was lost. Can you guys give me some advice on how to reinstall the OS, please?
Thanks a lot
Vitor
There are a number of ways to do that but it will help if you can provide the model of your Mac, along with the type and size of drive (HD or SSD), memory size, and other peripherals; the version of macOS you are trying to install, and if you have access to another Mac—to make it easier to create a USB drive system installer.

Reaction score
There are a number of ways to do that but it will help if you can provide the model of your Mac, along with the type and size of drive (HD or SSD), memory size, and other peripherals; the version of macOS you are trying to install, and if you have access to another Mac—to make it easier to create a USB drive system installer.
Thanks, Tony!
I have an 11'' MacBook Air with a 120gb ssd drive and 4gb ram, no other periferals, and I'm trying to install mac os sierra. I don't have another mac at hand, for the moment... What do you recommend?

Reaction score
Thanks, Tony!
I have an 11'' MacBook Air with a 120gb ssd drive and 4gb ram, no other periferals, and I'm trying to install mac os sierra. I don't have another mac at hand, for the moment... What do you recommend?
I’m guessing that your Air is the 2010 model. If this is so, then you can upgrade up to macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. Even if you reformatted (deleted) the flash drive, as long as you are still connected to the internet, you should be able to boot into Recovery.

Reboot the MacBook and immediately hold down ⌘-R. Wait until the recovery app comes up. You might have to pull down the WiFi icon to select your server and connect with your password. You will be presented with your choices, including reinstalling macOS. If it’s a 2010 Air, you will be offered High Sierra. At this point, you may want to reformat the drive first, and if Disk Utility offers to format it as APFS, then you should choose it. If it’s an older model, APFS might not be an option, and you might be offered macOS Sierra. Recovery will always present you with the highest OS that the Mac can run. If the installation is successful, you will be able to reconfigure it with your Apple ID and other personal data. Good luck.

Reaction score
Thank you Tony! The first time i tried it, the option for choosing the network wasn't showing up, but when i tried again it did show up and then it automatically started the installation!

Ask a Question