Touch ID Problem

Reaction score
All of a sudden, I can have Auto Login turned on or Touch ID enabled, but not both. Choosing one turns the other off. I haven't done any recent OS updates.

Anyone else come across this?

M1 MBA, MacOS 12.7.3

Reaction score
Touch ID will not work with Auto Login.

Touch ID requires that you enter your account password at boot in order to work.

When TouchID is enabled, you will see a note under the password field after boot that your password is required to enable TouchID.

Reaction score
Touch ID will not work with Auto Login.

Touch ID requires that you enter your account password at boot in order to work.

When TouchID is enabled, you will see a note under the password field after boot that your password is required to enable TouchID.
So it seems, but I've always had Auto Login switched on and Touch ID has worked......until now.

Reaction score
So it seems, but I've always had Auto Login switched on and Touch ID has worked......until now.
Did you recently upgrade to a newer version of macOS? I’m not sure when Apple implemented this feature (limitation) but they seem to be more and more security conscious. I noticed, I think it was in Sonoma, when it became harder to just select a different startup volume and reboot. Now you have to verify the owner of the drive you are changing to before you can reboot. And in two stages, I think.

And now with 14.4, when you are asked to log in with your Apple ID, the 2-factor authentication numbers do not appear on your iPhone or iPad until you likewise unlock it with Touch ID without waiting for the message that you must first acknowledge. Not certain about the sequence because it just started happening with the latest version 14.4 (23E214), as far as I can remember.

Ask a Question