Printtool pop-up

Reaction score
Recently every time I try to use my printer to scan a document I get repeated pop-ups saying printtool is trying to modify my printer settings and asking for the name and password of a "print administrator". I can't find anything about printtool on my mac and have never had a print administrator let alone a password for one. Hitting cancel gets rid of the pop-up but I have to do it multiple times per scan and it's annoying. I think it relates to the latest operating system update. Can anyone help me get rid of this annoyance?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Which brand/model printer is installed?
-Do you have Printer Sharing enabled in System Preferences... > Sharing?

C

Reaction score
Hello, all of a sudden I keep getting a pop up ( printtool is trying to modify printer settings ) im not that versed with Macs can you help please

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Which brand/model printer?
-What application are you printing from?
-Can you upload a screenshot of the alert dialog?

C

Reaction score
Hello, Mac mini 2011, 2.3gzintercore i5, memory 9 gb 1333 mhm DDR3, graphics 3000, 512mb, please find screenshot

Attachments

• pop up.jpeg
    pop up.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 477

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I still need to know which version of OS X/macOS?

Have you tried simply entering your Mac username and password - what you use to login or install things?

There are a few Terminal commands you could issue - how familiar with Terminal commands are you?

C

Reaction score
Good morning, there lies the problem ,lack of know-how , any guidance would be most appreciated , many thanks, Gordon.

Reaction score
I'v had the same problem for some time now. On https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7269124 I found the following (you need to scroll down on the linked page to find this answer):

"I didn’t want to reset my print system, I have wired IP printing, wireless, USB, for printers at multiple locations - what a hassle to gather the info from the printer owners and reset all of those up. LUCKILY, there is an easy solution! Just add the user, yourself or whoever have the problem when logged in, to the Print Administrators group using Directory Utility or a Terminal command:

Directory Utility is located in System/Library/CoreServices/Applications, but a few keystrokes in Spotlight is the quickest way to find and open the app.

Click the lock to make changes, then select Directory Editor, then select Groups from the Viewing popup menu. Type “print” (without the quotes) in the search field to quickly access Print Administrators. Select Print Administrators, then GroupMembership. Click the VERY SUBTLE “+” at the right side of the GroupMembership line, then type the name of the user, as example, Kathy, overwriting “new_value” which is already selected, just waiting on you to type. Save and quit Directory Utility. I’m not sure if it takes effect immediately or if you need to log the user out and back in.

Or adding someone to the Print Administrator group is easy (with admin privileges) from the Terminal by copy/pasting or typing this command, replacing “kathy”, in this example, with the actual account name :

sudo dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a kathy -t user _lpadmin

**Keep in mind** Terminal does NOT show your password on the screen as you type it in, so as you type it, it *looks* like Terminal is not taking your keystrokes. It is."

I don't know if this works, but I'm hoping for the best!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

-Which model Mac?
-Did you mean macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra?
-Did the issue just start?
-Did you try resetting the printing system and re-adding the printer?

C

Ask a Question