Pop-up "Facebook password required"

Jan

Reaction score
OS X El Capitan Macbook 10.11.6 Pop-up window appears whether on FB or not. I says, "Enter your password for "(our email) in Internet Accounts. Though it had 'close option', it pops right back up. Clicking on the other option-'continue', it asks for password, but then says 'invalid'. Help

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
That's so weird the exact same thing happened to me just then & has been happening with set regularity. I always just dismiss it because I am already logged into my internet accounts and am not experiencing any issues.

It actually happened yesterday & instead of dismissing it I entered my login details into the relevant section of System Preferences but despite this it had popped up again just then!

I can't really shed any light nor have I attempted to get to the bottom of this by searching for a solution as I just put it down to a glitch & one that doesn't faze me.

I'm using macOS 10.13.4

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue but when I go to facebook I'm already logged in.
In system preferences, I went to notifications and selected facebook and set
it to no notifications. I think that may stop it.

Reaction score
I've been having the same issues for the past few days. When I close the pop up it will eventually pop up again. When I hit continue, it opens up the System Prefs and another pop up states, "Can't connect to the account "facebook". So I type in my password for Facebook and the pop up goes away for a little bit.

Testing now to see how long it takes to retrigger the popup.

Reaction score
Well, that didn't take long LOL (6 minutes)! The dreaded "Facebook Password Required" Pop up strikes back. I may do as Pasquanel suggests for now.

VHH

Reaction score
"Me too" - I know another 3 people with the same problem. Is this a virus? It looks like the problem has shown up periodically over the last several years without anyone coming up with a solution (no less answering). Going to drive me mad.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

This seems to be a widespread issue. It seems that it affects those that have Facebook setup in System Preferences... > Internet Accounts, and not those that don't and only login via a browser. I haven't had the issue, as I don't have Facebook setup in Internet Accounts.

People are discussing that it may be due to changes by Facebook for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), although this issue has occurred previously. I don't think it is an Apple issue...rather changes made by Facebook.

I suggest that you try removing your Facebook account from Internet Accounts temporarily, and see if that prevents the constant prompting for your login information.

Let us know if that works for you.

C

Reaction score
Tried temporarily deactivating my Facebook account but this hasn't stopped the pop up from continually reappearing. It's extremely annoying and covers up the top right of the screen.

M

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I've just removed my Facebook account from System Preferences ~>Internet Accounts & I will report my findings over the next couple of weeks.

Ask a Question