Preview Adjust Image Bug?

Reaction score
When I try to adjust levels on an image that has letters in it, the area with letters highlights like I'm selecting text. I'm however not selecting text. I'm adjusting the levels of the entire image.

I did a system update and restarted my computer and the same issue occurs. This happens on any similar image with letters on it.
Below I downloaded a random pic off the internet and did a screen capture of the before and after results.

Is this a software bug?

03.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Does it happen on all images, or this one in particular? I would guess that the logo was added to the shirt after the original photo was taken, which could explain why that box appears when adjusting levels.

See if it happens on all photos, especially similar ones from the site where that photo is located.

C

Reaction score
Thank you for asking. Yes, this happens on any image. The logo or text are on the t-shirt. Its a person wearing a printed shirt. Here's another one. Again just a random image I grabbed off the internet. Both examples are black T-shirts but the color doesn't matter. It could be a white T-shirt with color lettering. Or it can be any image that has lettering on it like a street sign on the side of the road.

Adjustimagetest.jpg

Reaction score
I tried with the image you suggested. You can see in the "F" a bluish colored box appears. All I did was open the image in Preview, Click on show Markup Toolbar, Click on Adjust Color and used the sliders to change the levels of the image.

test3.jpg

Reaction score
When I try to adjust levels on an image that has letters in it, the area with letters highlights like I'm selecting text. I'm however not selecting text. I'm adjusting the levels of the entire image.

I did a system update and restarted my computer and the same issue occurs. This happens on any similar image with letters on it.
Below I downloaded a random pic off the internet and did a screen capture of the before and after results.

Is this a software bug?

View attachment 4661
It’s not a bug. It’s one of those “miraculous” abilities of macOS, in this case the ability to detect “text” in what are otherwise bitmap images. It then segregates what is determined to be text, and allows you to otherwise adjust the rest of the image. Try other image editing apps you have… Photoshop, Gimp, Affinity Photo. You will notice that the “text” will not come to life.

Reaction score
It’s not a bug. It’s one of those “miraculous” abilities of macOS, in this case the ability to detect “text” in what are otherwise bitmap images. It then segregates what is determined to be text, and allows you to otherwise adjust the rest of the image. Try other image editing apps you have… Photoshop, Gimp, Affinity Photo. You will notice that the “text” will not come to life.

Thanks for the reply. I figured it had something to do with the software detecting text but I don't know why its isolating text or a portion of it when your intent is to do adjustments to the entire image. At least I know I'm not doing something wrong!

I'm still on PS CS6! Won't work on my spanking new iMac. But I am eyeing Affinity, I hear good things!

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I figured it had something to do with the software detecting text but I don't know why its isolating text or a portion of it when your intent is to do adjustments to the entire image. At least I know I'm not doing something wrong!

I'm still on PS CS6! Won't work on my spanking new iMac. But I am eyeing Affinity, I hear good things!
See if you can get a “demo” version of Affinity. I have all three, only because I have clients who use them and submit the files for me to work with, but personally I’m sticking with Creative Cloud. If you don’t need Illustrator or InDesign, you may want to try just Photoshop. It’s so powerful now that I probably use less than 10% of its features, mainly because my work centers around InDesign and Illustrator. I think a single Creative Cloud app will be affordable if you have a great need for working with continuous tone images. Try to catch some videos on YouTube showing some of Photoshop’s masking “magic,” in particular the ones that separate hair from very challenging backgrounds. Too bad I don’t use all of that power much nowadays, but my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription gives me access to ALL of the Adobe apps, fonts, and images.

Apple’s intelligent software to recognize text from images is a curiosity at best, but they should focus their time more on the more basic issues, like alphabetizing titles in Books and Music properly. E.g., “A Star is Born” does not belong with the A list, it should be under S, right? My iTunes library of audiobooks, books, music, and videos that I built for so many years suddenly became useless when they tore iTunes apart. And how many years had it been since this happened? Bad Apple!

Ask a Question