PowerBook G4 problem

Reaction score
I have a PowerBook G4 with a OS X 10.4.11. I have a 1.67 GHz processor. My PowerBook freezes after about ten minutes. Do you think I have a virus? Should I upgrade my operating system? Or, is it time to get another laptop? Any insight would be appeciated.

karazelle

Reaction score
When you bought your Mac you should have recieved a number of discs. One of them should say "Apple Hardware test" or something similar. Otherwise, its one of the other recovery disks and you would boot the Mac with the disk inserted while holding down the Alt (Option) key to reach the hardware test.

You should start running that first.

It is time to consider getting a new laptop too, and it could be your harddrive failing, so I would recommend doing a backup of your disk content the sooner the better. You can still get harddrives for your G4 laptop however. :)
See my blog for a new post I will make shortly after writing this entry (in case you were TOO fast) on how to check a drive for problems. Link in signature.

karazelle

Reaction score
fightingirish said:
Thanks for the info about the Apple Hardware Test. I'm in the process of running it and in the Memory test, an error has popped up that says..."ERROR, Write to location ZERO Detected! Loc zero was originally zero
Current File: Localization/en/Scripts/en_AHT_script.sc, Line#13196
Function Back Trace Level 8
Then there is alot of other stuff after that. What should I do?

Hello. Please don't reply by private message but in the forum board. That way more people can see the thread and help, especially now during vacation months! I am writing on my iPhone now.

With that message, you might look at taking it in for service. It would seem the memory is bad. Could also be your hardware test CD, but hard to say from forums.

Good luck!

Ask a Question